PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Women's Soccer Falls In C-USA Tournament

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:49 am

Or the voice of axe-grinders everywhere. One season - especially a season in which a team has been riddled with injuries - does not define a coach. Coach got hired over the summer, and had little time to put things together the way he wants them. Bruno Guarda left at the same time, even though the team had spent all spring building its offense around him (not blaming Bruno for going pro - just saying it left the team in a bind). Losing Geppert and Oliva seriously crippled the offense, and then when Paulo got hurt - set it back even more (and we only went 2-2-1 without him - keep him healthy and we're not even having this conversation.

Thankfully, Steve-O is running the show, not Al Davis.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby August » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 am

um...this thread is about the women's team. But thanks for playing. :D
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am

Oops. Had a late night. Sorry! :roll:
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby August » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:43 am

No worries. I sort of had to go back myself to make certain because you caught me off guard!! :lol:
August
Junior Varsity

Postby ktownponyfan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm

the team was young....they made it to the tournament.....lots of teams did not.....Rome was not built in a day...........all i'm saying!!!!

looking forward to next year!!!
ktownponyfan

Postby newmustangfan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:54 pm

redpony wrote:As V. Lombardi said 'Losing is an admission of failure". We don't need anymore failures.

Please quit invoking Vince Lombardi. It's asinine.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:08 pm

ktownponyfan wrote:they made it to the tournament.....lots of teams did not..

[deleted]!! Were did you learn your math? Hopefully not at SMU. We were the last seed of 8. There are only 12 teams in the conference. This team finished in the lower 1/3 of the conference. You call that good or successful?

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:14 pm

newmustangfan wrote: Please quit invoking Vince Lombardi. It's asinine.

No, having a miserable losing season is what is asinine. Also, the sunshiners that have become used to losing because of our 20+ years of football purgatory need to re-discover their competitiveness and desire for winning. If we are going to be top 25 in everything then losing is not acceptable.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Contrarian » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:01 pm

"the team was young....they made it to the tournament.....lots of teams did not.....Rome was not built in a day...........all i'm saying!!!!

"That which has been believed by everyone, always and everywhere, has every chance of being false."

-Paul Valéry
Contrarian

Postby ktownponyfan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm not just speaking of the Conference USA tournament......I'm talking about the post season in any conference....Big 12, Conference USA, Big 10....etc. Take into account how many women's soccer teams there are in the US.....the see how many were still playing as of Wednesday. :roll:
ktownponyfan

Postby August » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:28 pm

None of which matters. The facts are that pre-Erwin we were top 20 in the country. And now, a short two years later, we're 'all excited' to be eighth in the conference. No matter how you dance around that, it's a sad state of affairs and no amount of eye rolling will somehow make that OK.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby ktownponyfan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:52 pm

as if it is Erwin's fault??? yeah....cause John left such a great group behind
:roll:

under John how many times did they advance further than 2 games into the tournament. Usually they would win a weak conference then get their [deleted] handed to them by the Aggies.

I believe Erwin is trying to build a team that isn't just good in the Conference but can compete for a National Championship. Are they there yet.....no....but give him another year and they will be right up there with the Aggies. This young team plus the ones coming in next year are going to be better than any group that has come through SMU in a LONG TIME!!!
ktownponyfan

Postby newmustangfan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:06 am

August wrote:None of which matters. The facts are that pre-Erwin we were top 20 in the country. And now, a short two years later, we're 'all excited' to be eighth in the conference.

Pull your head out of your [deleted] and look at how that happened. The upperclassmen we had this year were good, but we didn't didn't have enough of them. Why? Because Erwin wasn't around three years ago to recruit. If you dig a little deeper than the won/loss record, you'll figure it out (maybe).
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby Contrarian » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:16 am

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Contrarian

Conference final

Postby Soccerfan08 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Memphis and East Carolina in the final. Memphis was the best conference team that we played. They beat us on 3 goals within 6 minutes, a real momentum swing. Still, except for Memphis, we were within a goal of all our conference opponents. By injury, we lost a key senior forward and a key junior defender, we failed to score on a couple of pivotal penalty kicks, and we helped our opponents by knocking some balls in the net for them. If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all! It's soccer, so you have to accept that there is not always a rational outcome. I think we can be proud of our team. I think they still have a lot to learn, but they are very competitive with the more experienced teams in CUSA and in the region overall. I can't wait to see who they play next fall. I hope we can grow our fan base. You've got to have hope for the future. Naysayers beware!
Soccerfan08

Previous

Return to Other Sports