PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Women's Soccer Falls In C-USA Tournament

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Mustangs outshoot ECU in loss

HOUSTON, Texas (SMU) - The SMU women's soccer team outshot East Carolina by nearly a 2-1 margin Wednesday, but weren't able to get on the scoreboard and fell, 1-0, in the quarterfinals of the Conference USA Championship at Rice Soccer Stadium in Houston.

The No. 8-seeded Mustangs fired 19 shots at the ECU goal, and had nearly as many shots on goal (10) as the Lady Pirates had shots. Freshman forward Logan May - a member of the 2008 Conference USA All-Freshman team - had nearly as many shots (eight) as the entire ECU roster, while midfielder Kristin Medeiros had four and forward Lauren Shepherd had three.

But ECU got the only goal of the game in the 74th minute when Bailey Wilcox scored on a short header off a corner kick.

With the loss, the Mustangs' season ends with a final record of 6-13-1.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:01 pm

wonder where we are in recruiting? This season was a disaster.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ktownponyfan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:59 pm

for the youngest team in the nation....I think they did well. They will be back next year stronger than ever!
ktownponyfan

Postby Scoops » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:41 pm

From what I've heard, many the players committed for next year - and those committed for 2010 - are exceptional. This year's freshmen showed some real growth and improvement over the season, and I've heard there are several on the way who have a chance to compete for starting roles from Day One.

Tough way to go out, Ponies, but you were a lot of fun to watch this year, and the way the team improved throughout the course of the season was extremely encouraging. Bust your tails in the offseason and come back better and stronger in the spring, and kick some tail next season!
Scoops
All-American

Postby ktownponyfan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:28 am

Just to add (to further show how much soccer has improved all over the nation)........Texas A&M who has won the Big 12 regular season or tournament championship every year was defeated in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament 4-2 by Kansas......a team that the Ponies lost to early in the season 1-0. So I believe the soccer world (at least on the girls side) is starting to change.
ktownponyfan

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:38 pm

ktownponyfan wrote:Just to add (to further show how much soccer has improved all over the nation)........Texas A&M who has won the Big 12 regular season or tournament championship every year was defeated in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament 4-2 by Kansas......a team that the Ponies lost to early in the season 1-0. So I believe the soccer world (at least on the girls side) is starting to change.
Congrats to Kansas coach - and former SMU midfielder - Mark Francis. For some reason, A&M became the team I hate more than any other in women's soccer. Love the fact that a Mustang guided his team to win over that overrated bunch.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 pm

ktownponyfan wrote:Just to add (to further show how much soccer has improved all over the nation).For some reason, A&M became the team I hate more than any other in women's soccer. Love the fact that a Mustang guided his team to win over that overrated bunch.

Why do you hate the Aggies soccer so much? I am curious as coach G has been recruiting my grand daughter. She is only a junior but has attended some of his camps. I hate A&M but they have been much more successful than our women's soccer. IMHO both of our soccer programs have been trashed by poor coaching decisions-especially the men's program.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby newmustangfan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 pm

ktownponyfan wrote:Just to add (to further show how much soccer has improved all over the nation)........Texas A&M who has won the Big 12 regular season or tournament championship every year was defeated in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament 4-2 by Kansas......a team that the Ponies lost to early in the season 1-0. So I believe the soccer world (at least on the girls side) is starting to change.

And who'd have predicted the Longhorns to finish sixth in the Big 12?
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby ktownponyfan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 pm

IMHO both of our soccer programs have been trashed by poor coaching decisions-especially the men's program

wow....poor coaching decisions and they get to the conference tournament??yeah.....seems like such poor coaching :roll: I bet there are a lot of teams that wish they had such poor coaching that leads them into the conference tournament.

the women's team was the youngest in the nation......and got to the conference tournament and outplayed the #1 seeded team. I see a lot of promise in this group. The coaching staff got a lot out of this young group. The coaches did a great job with the field players, the keeper coach did an amazing job with the young keeper. I am very much looking forward to seeing what this young group does next year.
ktownponyfan

Postby newmustangfan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 pm

redpony wrote:IMHO both of our soccer programs have been trashed by poor coaching decisions-especially the men's program.

The women's program has endured the consequences of some lackluster recruiting in the later years of the prior coaching regime. The future for the women's program looks very good.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:51 pm

redpony wrote:Why do you hate the Aggies soccer so much? I am curious as coach G has been recruiting my grand daughter. She is only a junior but has attended some of his camps. I hate A&M but they have been much more successful than our women's soccer. IMHO both of our soccer programs have been trashed by poor coaching decisions-especially the men's program.

GO PONIES!!!
Because of Coach G. I know a few players who played for him, and they said everything he said when recruiting him turned out to be a lie. One player was told she was going to start for four years, they weren't going to recruit another player at her position, etc. She completely understands the idea that if someone beat her out, the other player should play, but she and two of her teammates said that from the beginning of preseason workouts in her freshman year, she never got a chance to compete. When she went to Coach G and asked about the situation, she was told she hadn't been promised anything, even a chance to compete, and that he (GG) regretted recruiting her ... and her freshman season hadn't even started yet. And this wasn't a bad kid. She's in her upper 20s now, still doesn't drink, is early to everything and works as hard as anyone I've ever known. Was she the most talented player on the team? I have no idea. But she was good enough that she at least deserved a shot, and according to all three players, she never got anything even resembling a shot.

Plus, Coach G is just slimy. Spend any time around him, and you'll feel the urge to flea-dip yourself. He is a terrific recruiter — so congratulations that your granddaughter seems to be on his wish list — but I've never heard of a player getting better under his coaching. His teams often beat teams on raw athleticism and speed, but any improvement players show is always credited to his assistants, from what I gather. He's a recruiter, not a teacher.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Contrarian » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:46 am

Deja Vu all over again.
Contrarian

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:17 am

ktownponyfan wrote:
wow....poor coaching decisions and they get to the conference tournament??yeah.....seems like such poor coaching :roll: I bet there are a lot of teams that wish they had such poor coaching that leads them into the conference tournament. I am very much looking forward to seeing what this young group does next year.

I am shocked that you consider finishing 8th in a 12 team conference equates to great success. How stupid!! Getting invited to a tournament where the top 8 teams are invited is not earth-shattering. Yes, this team may be young but it is winning that counts.
Saying wait until next year is excuse given by losers. As V. Lombardi said 'Losing is an admission of failure". We don't need anymore failures.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 am

DallasDiehard.
Thanks for the info on Coach G. My son and he were teammates and good friends many years ago. I know nothing of his coaching abilities only his record. I have heard the same comments previously from other people. I am suprised he continues to be successful recruiting with that kind of coaching reputation.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby August » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:38 am

redpony wrote:
ktownponyfan wrote:
wow....poor coaching decisions and they get to the conference tournament??yeah.....seems like such poor coaching :roll: I bet there are a lot of teams that wish they had such poor coaching that leads them into the conference tournament. I am very much looking forward to seeing what this young group does next year.

I am shocked that you consider finishing 8th in a 12 team conference equates to great success. How stupid!! Getting invited to a tournament where the top 8 teams are invited is not earth-shattering. Yes, this team may be young but it is winning that counts.
Saying wait until next year is excuse given by losers. As V. Lombardi said 'Losing is an admission of failure". We don't need anymore failures.

GO PONIES!!!

+1!!!! Thank you for being the voice of reason in this sea of sunshiners!!
August
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Other Sports