PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs FIU

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs FIU

Postby gk00dad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 pm

SMU is up 2-1 at the 79 minute mark. Leone Cruz scored in the first half and Jeff Harwell scored in the second half. FIU is down to ten men with a player red carded off in the second half.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby gk00dad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:43 pm

live stats has stopped updating, but if this score holds we should end up with the sixth seed in the tournament. Memphis and Kentucky tied, along with UCF and South Carolina. That means that there are 5 teams with ten points. With the win over UCF two weeks ago, we will finish conference play in sixth place maybe even in fifth, looking at South Carolina's record. So we could either face Marshall or Memphis in the first round. That is if we won tonight. UAB just beat Marshall so we actually could end up in the four spot if the scoreline holds.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby gk00dad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Ponies win 2-1 and if my calculations are right will get the 4th seed and play UCF in the first round. Now someone go kill a live chicken or pour holy water or whatever on the pitch so we can defend it and win this tournament.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby Dark Horse » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:20 pm

gk00dad wrote:Ponies win 2-1 and if my calculations are right will get the 4th seed and play UCF in the first round. Now someone go kill a live chicken or pour holy water or whatever on the pitch so we can defend it and win this tournament.
OK, now that's funny! (And absolutely right!)

I can't make heads or tails out of the tie-breaker system, but I want Marshall. We beat them up and down the field a couple of weeks ago, and it was one of those days when the damn ball just wouldn't go in, so we came out with a loss (didn't we hit the post a few times in that game?) We owe them.

If we get the 4th seed and beat whoever we get in round 1, there's a really good chance we get Tulsa in the second round. That could be a great game - we have the talent to play with them or beat them, but they kicked our butts last time. We owe them.

Two things I heard that are encouraging: I was told Paulo da Silva didn't even make the trip - resting to get healthier for the tournament - so hopefully he's back up to speed Wednesday.

Also, regardless of who we play, we get the late (8 PM?) game in the first round Wednesday.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby gk00dad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Yeah well here's the bad news. Daniel Lopez was carded off in the final minutes of the game, so he'll be out for the first round. If the seeds are odds and evens then we'll play Kentucky or Marshall in the second round if we progress. Good news is that we did beat UCF, bad news is our keeper had to make 8 saves that night and with no Danny he'll have to work even harder.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby Dark Horse » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:42 pm

Goalkeeping isn't going to be an issue. Except for the Tulsa game, when he had a nightmare of a game, Craig Hill has been fantastic this year. He's a stud. Losing Lopez hurts, though - he not only is very talented, but he's very mature and very versatile. The guys need to get through this first round, because Lopez deserves to go out on the field.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby gk00dad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:27 pm

Its official. We are the third seed. I guess they went with overall record for the tie breaker. Looks like we get South Carolina in the first round and possibly Tulsa in the second if we get through round one.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby Dark Horse » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 pm

What makes you say it's official?

SMU, Memphis, UCF and South Carolina are all tied with 10 points in conference games.

SMU, Memphis and UCF are 3-4-1, and South Carolina is 2-2-4. I would guess that puts the first three teams ahead of South Carolina, but who knows? Nothing has been announced yet by the league, has it? Am I missing something?

If you go to tie-breakers, Memphis beat us and we beat UCF - wouldn't that make us the fourth seed?
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby gk00dad » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:03 am

CUSA webpage has just updated. We are third in the standings. Guess they used overall record as the first tie breaker.But you are right. The seedings have not been announced yet, but if they use the standings then there it is.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby Dark Horse » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:23 am

Hope you're right - GO MUSTANGS!
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby gk00dad » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 am

Here are the tie breakers. Good grief, they are worse than the NFL.

1. Two-way tie. Head to head competition between the tied teams.
2. Multiple Ties
a. Head to head competition between the tied teams.
b. Record versus other Conference opponents in descending rank order of Conference win- ning percentage.
c. The number of goals allowed by each team in Conference play. The team allowing the few- est number of goals against, shall be the higher seed.
d. Goals scored versus goals scored against by each team in Conference competition. The team with the higher ratio shall be the team with the higher seed.
e. Coin toss by the Commissioner (or designee)
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby gk00dad » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 am

Dark Horse, you're right we should be the fourth seed if they use the second tie breaker. Oh well, no matter. Will be in Dallas Tuesday night so I can catch all of the games. Ponies need to win otherwise its going to be a long week in Dallas.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:41 am

It might be easier to figure out how Brent Musberger still has a job calling big games - and everyone knows that can't be explained.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:03 am

Great win. Now CUSA title is next. Please don't let us down. We need that to get to the nationals.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 817pony » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 pm

PonyPride wrote:It might be easier to figure out how Brent Musberger still has a job calling big games - and everyone knows that can't be explained.

...ouch! You really wanted to fit that one in didn't you? haha
817pony
Recruit

Next

Return to Other Sports