PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unacceptable loss

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Unacceptable loss

Postby Oldkeeper » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:36 pm

The women's soccer s program has one problem and Steve O knows what it is. It's pretty evident to the public too. It's going to be a long season...
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Re: Unacceptable loss

Postby IdgieThreadgood » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:19 am

There has been a steady decline in the program for the last 3 years or longer. A once storied program that was a National contender can't even make post-season conference play on a consistent basis anymore. Our women should be undefeated in pre-season play instead of 1-3 going into today's match. The program will continue to lose good local talent with the direction it is heading.
IdgieThreadgood

Postby August » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Well fasten your seatbelt because by next Sunday the best we can hope for is 2-5. 2 minutes into the game against Cal and we're down 1-0.

This isn't going to be pretty. Cal outshot Portland St Friday 27-1 but only won by 1-0. My guess is they won't let that happen again and it's going to be a bloodbath.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby August » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Not as bad as I'd thought - Halftime score 3-1 Cal. But once again, outshot big time - 10-2. We'll see if we can overcome this deficit in the second half.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby HeyHey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:13 pm

How are you getting the score updates?
HeyHey
Recruit

Postby August » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:16 pm

http://www.smcgaels.com/newLiveStats/So ... m_id=21400

If this link won't open, go to St Mary's soccer website then to the schedule. On the right side it will give a click thru to Live Stats.

Good Luck!
August
Junior Varsity

Postby August » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:56 pm

It's over - Cal wins 4-2, outshooting us 18-4. We had only two SOG, both scored.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby HeyHey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:00 pm

Okay, another loss, but definite improvement. Considering 21 of the 28 players are freshmen and sophomores, I think there are still a lot of possibilities here.
HeyHey
Recruit

Postby Oldkeeper » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Same thing was said last year when there were 20 freshman. 10 left and 3 were cut. 4 of those have signifcant playing time at there repesctive schools. Bottom line is we have talent and no coaching. We would not have had the numbers leaving or quiting if the problem was not from the top. It has been THE problem for the last two years. I feel for the girls. S.O. get a clue!
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby August » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:35 pm

And don't forget one of last year's top recruits who de-committed and is now playing 90 minutes of good defense at Ole Miss alongside two of the sophomores who quit. Their current record is 5-1 (including a win over our rival Memphis) and out scoring opponents something like 23-1.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:50 pm

August wrote:And don't forget one of last year's top recruits who de-committed and is now playing 90 minutes of good defense at Ole Miss alongside two of the sophomores who quit. Their current record is 5-1 (including a win over our rival Memphis) and out scoring opponents something like 23-1.

Well, Brent has no control over de-commits, which is true is all of our sports.

I was hesitant to jump into this thread because as I recall the bias's and axe's to grind with Brent by some of the posters has been discussed before. Player parents/disgruntled ex or rejected coaches. Playing time complaints. Players being cut. I really do not know the full story of the discontent but it sound to me like club soccer politics being applied at the college level to SMU.

I cannot judge if this program is headed in the right direction or not. That is SO's job. But we are a very young team. I am willing to let this season play out before calling for Brent's head.

Teams always bring in a lot of freshman both scholarship and walk-ons and give the players a year to show if they can play. This is especially true with goalkeepers. The current roster shows 2 seniors, 4 juniors (3 of 6 of Brent's original class and one transfer from NC), 6 sophomores (out of 8 2008 scholarship players) and 15 freshman (12 scholarship freshman). So it appears that to say this team is losing players at an alarming rate is simply not true. The majority of our scholarship players are still here and most are playing. Perhaps there is a problem with recruiting or with coaching tactics, I cannot say. But to paint a picture of a team in total disarray is disingenuous at best and extremely harmful to the program at worse.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EP Pony Fan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:06 pm

It's OK, my daughter's not good enough to play for SMU, either.
Of course, she's seven years old.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am

Last year 29 players on the roster with 4 seniors. The roster was down to 12 before the incoming class of 15. That is a huge attririon rate that quality programs don't have.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redblue08 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 am

Your faceless and cowardly rants against the coach have gotten boring. You and redpony played the same tag-team chicken-sh1t game last year. By the way, where is redpony? He has usually piled on by this time. The Mustangs aren't the only team that struggled with St. Mary's and California. The Longhorns, who started the season ranked #15, lost to St. Mary's 2-1 and lost to California 4-2. The Mustangs have scheduled another TOUGH non-conference schedule, and I give them credit for that. The wins will come. I support the program 100%.
redblue08

Postby southerncomfort » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:01 am

There are 2 seniors right now, JRaad and Kim Peabody...I imagine that says something.
southerncomfort
Varsity

Next

Return to Other Sports