PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Soccer - SMU vs. Rice (C-USA Tournament)

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Women's Soccer - SMU vs. Rice (C-USA Tournament)

Postby NewSMOOFan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:54 pm

What a disappointing result. Except for the 15 minutes after the Rice goal, SMU was the better team. The girls must be devastated.
NewSMOOFan

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 pm

NewSMOOFan wrote:What a disappointing result. Except for the 15 minutes after the Rice goal, SMU was the better team. The girls must be devastated.

Once again we had some fantastic chances but could only score one. We only had two or three defensive lapses the entire game and Rice made two of them count.

The story of the season unfortunately.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 pm

This sucks. I really enjoyed watching this senior class play.
Best of luck in the future, seniors.
For the rest, I'm looking forward to the spring season already. I like this team a lot.
Now it's up to the guys — go SMU!
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:45 pm

giacfsp wrote:This sucks. I really enjoyed watching this senior class play.
Best of luck in the future, seniors.
For the rest, I'm looking forward to the spring season already. I like this team a lot.
Now it's up to the guys — go SMU!

Last year was hard but this class is really tough to see go. All three of them are just fantastic.

Hopefully they will be able to continue with their soccer. They all did play with the new FC Dallas WPSL team for a few games last year. Hopefully they will have the chance to do it again next spring/summer before "real life" starts.

I certainly wish all three of them the best in whatever they do as well.

It obviously still hurts tonight, but you are right. Spring season will be here before we know it.

Thanks to the team for another fun season and hopefully next year will bring more success.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Hopefully when we get to the BE we can afford a real coach. We have had the talent but haven't been able to get to the next level.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 am

4th year and we can't advance....now will we look for an alternative in the coaching department?????
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby August » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Oldkeeper wrote:4th year and we can't advance....now will we look for an alternative in the coaching department?????

This was actually his 5th season but the first time he couldn't blame the 'empty cupboard' he inherited from JC as all the players now are his recruits. But having only 3 remaining seniors from his first class of 17 is pretty astounding. I feel bad for the players because nothing changes and they are all working so hard.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:11 pm

A coaching change would mean Orsini would actually need to be aware we have a women's soccer program. Don't hold your breath.

They will be able to sell the third place conference finish and the win against UCF and the draw against Memphis.

Even the most optimistic fan (like me) has to see this year as a disappointment though. The Arkansas and North Texas State losses put us in a position where we were going to have to pretty much run the table in conference to make the tournament. Then we were actually in the position to do that and we lost at home to Rice and ECU when we once again couldn't score a goal. I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating things had to be at certain points for Webb, Eidson, and Cox.

We have too much talent to have degenerated into a team that hopes like hell it can keep a clean sheet and get a goal on a set piece at some point.

Don't expect things to be that different next year either. Based on this year's recruiting class (after landing 4 top 100 national recruits in the past three seasons), we currently only have one commit who is even regionally ranked.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Oldkeeper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh and BTW...Big East will destroy this team....just sayin'
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Maybe when we get to the BE we will have some money for a real coach. If not our results will be absolutely pathetic when we face better competition.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby giacfsp » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

redpony wrote:Maybe when we get to the BE we will have some money for a real coach. If not our results will be absolutely pathetic when we face better competition.

GO PONIES!!!

I don't know if the "GO PONIES" you begrudgingly tag at the end of some of your posts is supposed to convince us that you actually support the SMU soccer teams, but it doesn't. If you're so against the coaches, why do you bother to post? Why not contact Orsini about it, rather than beating the dead horse on here in an effort to turn actual SMU soccer fans against the teams?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby PattyMelt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Players from that "empty cupboard" could win a regular season title and make it to ncaas.

Good recruits want to play for successful programs...unfortunately, I'm worried this program has dug itself in a hole and can't find it's way out.
PattyMelt

Postby Oldkeeper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 pm

I don't know if the "GO PONIES" you begrudgingly tag at the end of some of your posts is supposed to convince us that you actually support the SMU soccer teams, but it doesn't. If you're so against the coaches, why do you bother to post? Why not contact Orsini about it, rather than beating the dead horse on here in an effort to turn actual SMU soccer fans against the teams?

Doesn't do any good. I contacted him for three years. On a positive note for Orsini, good AD's give their coaches opportunities and give them enough rope to hang themselves. With the women's soccer program the coach has been dead and twisting for a couple of years.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby August » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 pm

PattyMelt wrote:Players from that "empty cupboard" could win a regular season title and make it to ncaas.

Agree - that's why I put that phrase in quotes. For at least two years the BE apologists used that excuse for the sorry coaching. Then it was that we were 'young'. Now he blames individual players after losses. While it's true that the coach isn't on the field, we had a darn good roster of players that once again underachieved.

PattyMelt wrote:Good recruits want to play for successful programs...unfortunately, I'm worried this program has dug itself in a hole and can't find it's way out.

Again, agree. Even if we continue to get top recruits, every single year at least one or two of the top players quit the team. Believe me, that word gets out and it's not good for the program.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

August wrote:Agree - that's why I put that phrase in quotes. For at least two years the BE apologists used that excuse for the sorry coaching. Then it was that we were 'young'. Now he blames individual players after losses.

It's hard to know who he blames for losses since he disappears if we don't win. After a win he will do video interviews and spout out stuff like "we are contending for championships" but there aren't even any quotes after a loss.

The fact he was the only coach with no media quotes after the first round of the C-USA tournament is just disgusting and really reflects poorly on the program. At least accept a loss with some class and dignity...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports