PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Soccer - SMU vs. Rice (C-USA Tournament)

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Women's Soccer - SMU vs. Rice (C-USA Tournament)

Postby August » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:It's hard to know who he blames for losses since he disappears if we don't win. After a win he will do video interviews and spout out stuff like "we are contending for championships" but there aren't even any quotes after a loss.

He often doesn't even speak to the players who wait in the locker room. He'll send in an assistant to dismiss them, having the team meeting the next day instead. Which is a much better option than his first 2 years when he would explode and throw things.

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:The fact he was the only coach with no media quotes after the first round of the C-USA tournament is just disgusting and really reflects poorly on the program. At least accept a loss with some class and dignity...

Well this was the final year of his contract so let's see what happens. But yes, class and dignity would be a welcome change. That, and a coach who makes his/her players the best they can be. Orsini has been incredibly supportive of this coach, no matter how egregious his behavior or how poor the record, so I would be surprised if there is a change in the works.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby soccermom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Coach has stunk to high heaven since day 1......
our program deserves much better
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hilltopper » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:05 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:The fact he was the only coach with no media quotes after the first round of the C-USA tournament is just disgusting and really reflects poorly on the program. At least accept a loss with some class and dignity...

Is that true? I thought conference rule/policy dictates that every coach of every team has to face the media. If it's an out-of-town team and none of its local media traveled, I can see if the comments from a coach who just lost are short, but they have to say something, don't they?
Top 25 hire, Orsini.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Hilltopper wrote:

Is that true? I thought conference rule/policy dictates that every coach of every team has to face the media. If it's an out-of-town team and none of its local media traveled, I can see if the comments from a coach who just lost are short, but they have to say something, don't they?
Top 25 hire, Orsini.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/w-soccer/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/ricesmu-quotes.pdf

No comments made available by SMU Head Coach Brent Erwin

Interestingly, all of the losing semifinals and finals coaches talked to the media as well. Imagine that.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big Easy Pony » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:55 am

Does anyone know why this happened? Seems awfully unprofessional.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby August » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Big Easy Pony wrote:Does anyone know why this happened? Seems awfully unprofessional.

My first reaction was actually relief since coach is not exceptionally well behaved or in control after a loss. I don't know the reason why he refused to make a statement but it's a glaring representation of his tenure here. After 5 years of this sort of embarrassing behavior it would be nice if the next coach acts like a grown up.

On the other end of the spectrum, McClements shows how it's done - grace and class, even in defeat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIXd6cNeoQ4&feature=player_embedded#!
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Other Sports