PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BE Soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Re: BE Soccer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
EastStang wrote:We are going from the 3rd or 4th best soccer conference to the 2nd best soccer conference behind the ACC. One thing though, BE soccer is more of the tough kick in the shins variety and not the graceful style that we play. We'll have to adjust to that style, but I believe that we'll certainly continue to be a player in college soccer. We won't have to have a tough OOC schedule anymore to prove our bona fides.

That's probably the best thing about the move. SMU needs to be able to physically compete and not rely on superior skill. Football is a game where physicality is underappreciated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

It's a matter or personal preference. I prefer technical players. In my opinion, technical players will trump physical players. The best example of this is FC Barcelona. All of their players are extremeal talented and technical players, and they are the best team in the world.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Re: BE Soccer

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Totally agree. I am also a great fan of 'La Pulga (the flea)- Lionel Messi. In fact the brother of my LHT lives in Spain and two yrs ago brought me a personally autographed jersey by Messi. One of his friends is a friend of FCB and got it for him to give to me. Big rivalry between FCB and Madrid.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:11 pm

With the greatest of respect FC Barca, they are more of the exception than the rule. Most successful teams are built on defence with physical players and then skill up front and out wide. If your skill is not supreme you lose out to physical teams. You need only look at the impressive record Norway has against Brazil.....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

BE Soccer

Postby whitwiki » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 am

I like the physical style much better. Watching Spain fake injuries to draw cards during the WC a couple years ago was painful.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:06 pm

whitwiki wrote:I like the physical style much better. Watching Spain fake injuries to draw cards during the WC a couple years ago was painful.

Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference. Ceteris paribus, I prefer technical players. Xavi has been voted the best midfielder 4 years straight. He is a perfect example that technical skills will trump physical ability. Also, I don't think Spain faked injuries. The other teams didn't know how to stop them; same happens when teams play Barcelona. They foul a lot. But we'll just agree to disagree on that. :)
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Previous

Return to Other Sports