PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Derek Leader New HC at GSU

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Derek Leader New HC at GSU

Postby August » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Well, this is interesting. I'm sure the team will be sad to see Derek leave but happy for the opportunity he gets. I wish him well - a class act for sure. http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewA ... M_ID=12700
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Re: Derek Leader New HC at GSU

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Good find - thanks.

It will be interesting to see who Erwin can round up to fill that spot on our staff.

Our recruiting class this year doesn't look like it is as good as the past three have been, but with Higginbotham going to TCU and Leader leaving our staff signing day can't get here soon enough (not to mention SMU keeping what looks like the start of a really good 2013 class).
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby August » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:48 pm

The more I think about it the more I realize what a big loss this is. Brent is the chief recruiter (and does a good job at that) but Derek has the coaching smarts and the ability to connect with the players that Brent does not possess. It's pretty clear that SO has renewed Brent's contract so now we really need to get someone in who understands the game and how to motivate players, making the most of their potential. The Big East is going to be an unforgiving playground.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I agree. Obviously you are closer to things - I only know what I see as a fan from the stands, but Brent is obviously a bit rough around the edges. I'm sure the assistants are nice buffers between the HC and the players (and also help keep BE somewhat in control during games and more importantly during practice).

I guess it all depends on who is named the new assistant.

Considering the SMU website has already removed his name from the list of coaches on the current roster, I would assume the current staff isn't too happy about this one.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby August » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:34 am

Interesting side note: the Men's Soccer coach at GSU is Brett Surrency, brother of SMU Women's AC Megan Surrency.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 am

August wrote: It's pretty clear that SO has renewed Brent's contract so now we really need to get someone in who understands the game and how to motivate players, making the most of their potential. The Big East is going to be an unforgiving playground.

This is just further evidence that SO cares less about the quality of our non-rev sports and their coaches. Unbelievable that he would extend a contract on a coach as pathetic as BE. Guess SO wants to wait until the team gets totally butt-whacked and embarrassed in the BE before doing anything.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby PattyMelt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:01 pm

If BE's contract was extended like you said, then perhaps a hiring an experienced female assistant may be good idea. It could help with recruiting and provide a more "balanced" coaching style.
PattyMelt

Postby Scoops » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 pm

I think Coach Leader's wife also is from the area, so maybe the desire to be near her family factored into the decision.
Whatever inspired the move, good luck, Coach.
Scoops
All-American

Return to Other Sports