PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Final Rankings - W Soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby August » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 pm

I didn't see this posted earlier - sorry if it's a repost - but in light of the move to the BE, it's an engaging study. We dropped from 53 in 2010 (the highest final ranking of this coach's tenure) to 76 in 2011. The most disturbing number is our Scoring Offense of only 1.4 goals per game, putting us tied at 140.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Re: Final Rankings - W Soccer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Yes - and goals per game drops to 1.2 if you discount the Prairie View game (but to be fair everybody has some easy games on their schedule).

I'm sure we will discuss this much more through signing day and the spring games, but the combination of losing the heart of our defense and only bringing in one recruit (so far at least) with any hope of making any impact offensively means some players are really going to need to step up this Fall or it could be a frustrating season for the Mustangs faithful.

On a related note - it is only two weeks until signing day! We are still sitting with a MF/F, a keeper, and three defenders. It's probably best to wait until they sign to discuss the class but it might be worth looking at the class as signing day gets closer (or if we can add another impact player before then).
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Might be more relevant to discuss why SO doesn't have the cajones to get a decent coach. The performance of SE has been miserable to say the least.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby August » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:On a related note - it is only two weeks until signing day! We are still sitting with a MF/F, a keeper, and three defenders. It's probably best to wait until they sign to discuss the class but it might be worth looking at the class as signing day gets closer (or if we can add another impact player before then).

Pretty sure Brent didn't think Mandy would quit his team - a big blow to the offense. But it also opens a scholarship he hadn't planned on so hopefully he gets another forward. But more to the point, he better get an AC in who can coach women and knows the game because his teams historically have difficulty finding the back of the net.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 pm

August wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:On a related note - it is only two weeks until signing day! We are still sitting with a MF/F, a keeper, and three defenders. It's probably best to wait until they sign to discuss the class but it might be worth looking at the class as signing day gets closer (or if we can add another impact player before then).

Pretty sure Brent didn't think Mandy would quit his team - a big blow to the offense. But it also opens a scholarship he hadn't planned on so hopefully he gets another forward. But more to the point, he better get an AC in who can coach women and knows the game because his teams historically have difficulty finding the back of the net.

Definitely. The Burgardt blow was a killer last season and obviously going forward over the next two seasons. You just can't lose players with that kind of pedigree and potential.

After five top-100 national players recruited over the past three years, we don't have any coming in this season (so far) and that certainly has to be seen as a disappointment. BE certainly opens himself to some criticism in some areas, but he has proven to be able to oversee some really good recruiting classes since 2008.

And, once again to be fair, as discussed in the Leader thread, the 2013 class is shaping up to be really good but we will see what happens with all of the recent coaching moves.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony Up » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:49 am

Take away one game against a cupcake opponent, and we're averaging 1.2 goals per game ... and there isn't a single forward in the recruiting class?
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Pony Up wrote:Take away one game against a cupcake opponent, and we're averaging 1.2 goals per game ... and there isn't a single forward in the recruiting class?

Well, the top recruit is listed as a MF/F, but I get the sense she is more of a midfielder. She can put the ball in the net though - last time I looked she had 11 goals in 11 ECNL matches so far this season or something like that.

I would guess any increase in scoring this season is going to have to come from Redman and Elliott. Redman did lead the team in shots last season, and hopefully having a full season under her belt after the knee injury will see her regain her goal-scoring form. Scovill will certainly pitch in her usual scoring as well. Granted, we don't exactly light up the scoreboard but Scovill has lead the team in scoring in two of her three seasons.

I really don't understand why Clarke doesn't play further up (maybe even actually as a forward) - I would think you would want her in the 18 with her ball skills as much as possible where the other team can't just push her over.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PattyMelt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:07 pm

76? That's a long way from the #24 final season ranking in 2006 before Erwin took over.
PattyMelt

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:10 pm

76 and falling is not where we ought to be....

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.855676,-96.759854
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 pm

You all seem to forget that BE is SO's big buddy so he is safe. We can play terrible, lose all our games and have major players quit but SO will blame everything on something other than BE. Since JC left this program has been a joke and we all know it. More than one top recruit has quit this team and the results reflect it.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm

redpony wrote:You all seem to forget that BE is SO's big buddy so he is safe. We can play terrible, lose all our games and have major players quit but SO will blame everything on something other than BE. Since JC left this program has been a joke and we all know it. More than one top recruit has quit this team and the results reflect it.

GO PONIES!!!

Steve O doesn't care about anything but football.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 pm

And bball. Name me one university that gave/gjves a coach a 5-7 year contract with no performance goals and allows him to destroy the current program to fit his own ideas. And then after 5+ years can't recruit/win enough to get over .500.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Return to Other Sports