PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

M-Soccer: SMU vs. Utah Valley (NCAA First Round)

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: M-Soccer: SMU vs. Utah Valley (NCAA First Round)

Postby smupony94 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:11 pm

6:00 pm
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks, Puckhead48E.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Overall, a good game. Definitely needed to get this first one in the books to get some nerves out of the system.

For a team that worked on consistently controlling the ball this season, they had some very suspect first touches and questionable passing decisions that often ended control leaving the defense in a pressure situation. Likewise, there were several weak clearance attempts by defenders who blindly kicked the ball to the center of the field to the opponent, ignoring the easy pass in their rush.

Nothing an additional practice and some video time won't help with. Time to get up to Denver, show their class, and continue an excellent season as they progress down the road to rebuilding this power program.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 am

smupony94 wrote:
HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Sometimes all you need is a little friendly to settle into the tourney. On to Denver! I am a little concerned about the altitude effects in our guys though...
they are talking about going up late to try and avoid the effects of the high-altitude

Good call. I did a 10k up there last month and ran the morning after I landed. Didn't really feel the altitude. Now the next morning when I woke up and did 5k I was sucking wind like crazy.

Would love to see the team make a deep run in the cup like in early 2000's.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 am

Puckhead48E wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Is it common in college soccer for the clock to tick down to 0:00 rather than up to 90:00?

College soccer clock is an abomination to the game. Goes from 45:00 to 0:00 each half. Stops on official indication such as foul and injuries. We had to change it for some reason...just had to.

It appeals to our American sensibilities...American fans can't comprehend "the clock's ticking up"
SMUer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:25 am

Good night for The American, with UConn and Tulsa winning as well giving the conference four teams in the second round.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:19 am

SMUer wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Is it common in college soccer for the clock to tick down to 0:00 rather than up to 90:00?

College soccer clock is an abomination to the game. Goes from 45:00 to 0:00 each half. Stops on official indication such as foul and injuries. We had to change it for some reason...just had to.

It appeals to our American sensibilities...American fans can't comprehend "the clock's ticking up"

It is a throwback to the 70s, and I am going to guess it was cause they used football scoreboard.

The other weird variation is that you could only substitute on corner kicks and goal kicks rather than any stoppage. As a career substitute that used to really [deleted] me off since sometime it would 10 - 15 minutes of time before you could get in. Not sure if they still do that or not.

From the games I watched earlier in the year, SMU does have a problem with periods where they lose control. They will look great, then for about 10 - 15 minutes they cannot put a pass together or will give up easy chances. They always got it back together in the games I watched and finished strong.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Previous

Return to Other Sports