PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's soccer recruiting class announced

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's soccer recruiting class announced

Postby PonyPride » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:42 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Women's Soccer Adds 10 For 2016 Season

April 6, 2016

DALLAS (SMU) - Head coach Chris Petrucelli, along with his coaching staff, has announced the signing of 10 student-athletes for the 2016 season.

The 2016 recruiting class consists of Hailey Bishop, Jessica Cooley, Emily Cope, Katina Tsapos, Katherine Herron, Alexis Thornton, Mary Meehan, Robyn Maurer, Avery Ortmann and Brooke Kuempel.

"Overall, it's a talented, deep and large class. It's the largest class we've had," Petrucelli said. "There are a number of players who can play different positions, and we can fill just about every position on the field with this group. But more than providing depth, it provides quality. There are numerous players who have the ability to come in and play right away."

HAILEY BISHOP
Midfield/Forward | 5-5 | Austin, Texas (Westlake)

Athletics: Plays club for Lonestar Soccer Club and for Jacob Stern at Westlake High School... Lettered all four years... First-team All-District in 2014 and 2015... Second-Team All-District in 2013... District champions from 2013-15... Was the leading scorer as a sophomore in 2014.

Academics: Member of the National Honors Society.

Why SMU: I was attracted to SMU because I thought I could work well under the coaches, the athletic environment and the business school. I think I'll really be able to progress as a player and student at SMU. The beautiful campus is just the cherry on top.

Petrucelli on Bishop: Hailey Bishop is a flank player, outstanding pace and works really hard. She's a factor in pressuring opponents into turnovers. She's the kind of player you love having on your team and hate playing against.

JESSICA COOLEY
Defender | 5-4 | Mequon, Wisconsin (Homestead)

Athletics: Rated a three-star prospect by TopDrawerSoccer... Plays club for F.C. Wisconsin Eclipse... Finished fourth at ECNL National in 2014... Participated in the ECNL Midwest PDP from 2013-15.

Academics: Has been on the high school honor roll all four years.

Why SMU: The campus is beautiful and in a great location, the academics are top-notch and provide great educational opportunities and the soccer program is welcoming and fits my style of play.

Petrucelli on Cooley: Jessica Cooley is an outside back who can play on the left or the right. She's a good soccer player and likes to get forward. She is also a good 1v1 defender. We think she's going to grow into an important player in our program.

EMILY COPE
Midfielder | 5-3 | Vail, Colo. (Battle Mountain)

Athletics: Rated a three-star prospect by TopDrawerSoccer... Plays club for Colorado Rush 97/98 ECNL... Finished in third place in the ECNL North American League in 2014... Was a state cup finalist in 2012... Plays for her father, David Cope, at Battle Mountain High School... Lettered all four years... Was a first-team All-State selection in 2015... Was Second-Team All-State in 2013 and 2014... Was a three-time conference champion, and state quarterfinalist in 2015... Lettered in Nordic Skiing (2013-15) and Cross Country (2015).

Academics: Has been in the top-10 percent of her class all three years of high school... Is an A.P. Scholar with honors.

Why SMU: SMU is a beautiful campus where I can both play and be challenged academically. After my first visit, I knew that SMU would be the perfect fit because of the facilities, team and learning experience. The idea of being on this team excites me and I really enjoy the coaching staff.

Petrucelli on Cope: Emily Cope is a playmaker as an attacking midfielder. She works really hard and covers a good deal of ground. She is good at combining and getting players involved. She has good vision, passing skills and can finish from distance. She'll add a new dimension to our midfield.

KATHARINE HERRON
Defender | 5-10 | Belleville, Ontario, CA | (Bayside)

Athletics: Plays club for Woodbridge Strikers 98 Girls... Was an OYSL East Division silver medalist for two consecutive years... Team was UMBRO and PDA Showcase champions the last two years... Plays for Graham Collins at Bayside Secondary School... Was the team captain and MVP in 2015... A bronze medalist at Ontario Soccer Championships... Also competed in gymnastics, volleyball, basketball and track and field and cross country... Was the junior athlete of the year in 2014.

Academics: Earned the Ontario French Immersion Diploma... Earned recognition awards for outstanding achievement in chemistry and mathematics for having the highest marks in her grade in 2015... Is a 3-time honor roll recipient.

Why SMU: SMU is the perfect combination of Division I athletics and internationally respected academics. The strength of the American Athletic Conference gives me the opportunity to play amongst some of the top players and teams in the country, as well as continue my development as a soccer player at a competitive level. Another main attraction was the Cox School of Business because it is one of the most highly reputable and coveted business schools in the United States. SMU's picturesque campus and ideal location only add to the overall appeal of the university.

Petrucelli on Herron: Katherine Herron is a very athletic center back. She is strong in a tackle and reads the game well. She is also comfortable with the ball where she can start the attack. We were looking for a physical presence in the back and she provides us with that. We expect her to bring an athletic quality to the back that we've been missing.

ROBYN MAURER
Forward/Midfielder | 5-5 | Fullerton, Calif. (Troy High School)

Athletics: Plays club for the Blues Youth Soccer Club Corona... Plays for Mike Selzer at Troy High School... Was a 3-time letterwinner... Made varsity first-team all-league honors... Was league champion in 2014 and 2015... Also lettered in track.

Academics: A member of the Troy Tech Program... Was a member of the California Scholastic Federation.

Why SMU: I was interested in the strength of the business program and I wanted to play soccer for a strong Division I soccer team.

Petrucelli on Maurer: Robyn Maurer has really good speed. She plays as a wide player and does a good job getting to the end line, serving and crossing balls into the box. She's dangerous running at players and will be difficult to defend.

AVERY ORTMANN
Forward/ Midfielder | 5-4 | Tomball, Texas (Tomball Memorial)

Athletics: Plays club for Challenge 98 ECNL... Reached the 2015 ECNL National Playoffs in Seattle... Plays for Kevin Meyer at Tomball Memorial High School... Lettered all four years and was a team captain... In 2015, was the All-District offensive MVP and was named to the first-team All-District... Was a 2015 Bi-District Champion... Earned I-10 Shootout All-Tournament honors as a freshman in 2013.

Academics: Was an Academic All-District member all four years.

Why SMU: I chose SMU because from the moment I stepped on campus, I knew it was the right place for me both academically and athletically. I can't wait to be a Mustang!

Petrucelli on Ortmann: Avery Ortmann is a hardworking front player who has played at a high level. She has shown the ability to both score and set up goals. She has the right mentality to compete on a high level.

ALEXIS THORNTON
Midfield | 5-11 | Arlington, Texas (Kennedale)

Athletics: Rated a three-star prospect by TopDrawerSoccer... Plays club for Solar Chelsea 98 ECNL... Was the 2014 ECNL National Champions in the North American Division... Has been an ECNL PDP selection from 2012-15... Plays for Michael Strange at Kennedale High School... Lettered all four years... Was the 2015 Fort Worth Star Telegram Female Athlete of the Year... Scored 38 goals and had 22 assists in 2015... Was a 2015 state champion and state MVP in conference 4A... Was on the 2015 Dallas Morning News All-Area Girls Team... Team captain from 2014-2016.

Academics: A member of the National Honors Society...Was a Peer Assistance and Leadership Mentor... She was in the National Leadership Academy, and in the top-10 percent of her class.

Why SMU: I was drawn to SMU because of the standards of academic excellence, beautiful campus, proximity to home and class size. Getting the opportunity to play soccer for such great coaches that will continually teach me, challenge me and push me to succeed made the decision to come to SMU an easy one. I look forward to being part of such a great program and pushing myself on the field and in the classroom.

Petrucelli on Thornton: Allie has a lot of different skills. She has scored a lot of goals and most of them are from distance. She strikes a ball with as much power as I've seen. She is a big strong kid who has good speed. She can run past you or she can run over you. She also has excellent playmaking ability both with her short and long distance passing. She provides an immediate boost to our attack.

MARY MEEHAN
Defense/ Midfield | 5-6 | Southlake, Texas (Carroll)

Athletics: Played club for 98 D'Feeters ECNL Girls... Qualified for Seattle National Event in 2014-15... Played for Matt Colvin at Carroll Senior High School... Was a 3-year letter-winner... Was the team captain during her junior and senior seasons... Scored 20 goals and had 18 assists in her career... Was a 2014 and 2015 5-A Regional finalist and District champion.

Academics: A member of the National Honors Society and National Math Honors Society... Was a Green Jacket Student Ambassador.

Why SMU: I chose SMU for its high academic ranking and outstanding athletic programs.

Petrucelli on Meehan: Mary Meehan can play in the back or the midfield. She is a good ball-winner and very good defensively. I like her leadership qualities and her work ethic. She was a late add for us but we're glad we got her.

KATINA TSAPOS
Defense/Midfield | 5-5 | Trophy Club, Texas (Byron Nelson)

Athletics: Rated a four-star prospect by TopDrawerSoccer... Plays club for Solar Chelsea Soccer Club ECNL...Was an ECNL North American League Champion in 2014... Is the team captain for the No. 1 team in the country, Byron Nelson High School...Was the District 5-6A MVP in 2015... Made the Dallas Morning News All Area Girls Team and was the District 6A All-State Honorable Mention in 2015... As a sophomore, was a member of the District 4A All-State Second Team.

Academics: A member of the National Honors Society from 2014-16... Was Academic All-District from 2013-15... She Earned the Silver Arrow of Honesty from Byron Nelson High School in 2013.

Why SMU: I was attracted to SMU because it provides a great education, was close to home and contains a friendly environment. The coaching staff and their style of play best fits my style and personality.

Petrucelli on Tsapos: Katina Tsapos is really smooth and talented with the ball. She is very good in possession and one versus one. She plays quality balls consistently. She can play in the back and in midfield. She understands the game at a high level and is always composed. She's good in so many different spots it will be a nice problem figuring out where to play her.

BROOKE KUEMPEL
Goalkeeper | 5-10 | Pflugerville, Texas (Hendrickson)

Athletic: Plays club for Lonestar SC ECNL 98... Was on the 2012-13 U15 ECNL All-Event Team in Frisco, Texas... Ranked as the 12th best goalie in TopDrawer IMG Academy Top 150 Rankings... Played for Frank Hense at Hendrickson High School... Lettered all four years... Named to First-Team All-District in District 16-5A... In 2013, was a District 16-5A Honorable Mention All-District selection... Also lettered in golf from 2013-15.

Academic: A member of the National Honors Society... Was Academic All-District 2012-14... Was a Peer Assistance Leadership Services mentor.

Why SMU: It has great academics and a good soccer foundation. It is also a prestigious school with a high success rate out of college. The location is nice for connections and it wasn't too far from home.

Petrucelli on Kuempel: Brooke Kuempel is athletic, competitive and hardworking. She is a perfectionist in goal and wants to save every ball. She has a good deal of upside. Her focus on being the best reminds me of some of the top players I've coached.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Women's soccer recruiting class announced

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Looks like an excellent class.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend