PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Not football but SMU nonetheless...

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Not football but SMU nonetheless...

Postby Arkpony » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:43 pm

SMU champion golfer finished the Masters at 5 over for a very good round. He was wearing a red shirt and blue pants which the announcers pointed out was SMU colors. On other occasions they mentioned he was from SMU. Good publicity!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Not football but SMU nonetheless...

Postby Arkpony » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Forgot to mention it was DeChambeaux (sp?)
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby BUS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 am

On Saturday he ware a hat with the SMU Running Mustang logo.

Not a golf cap but a frenchy kind of cap.

And again did a two minute piece about smu, ncaa.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby gostangs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:16 am

Not a fenchy hat - that's called a Hogan cap and is a nod to the history of the sport, which is another great part of Bryson.
gostangs

Postby fmced » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:39 am

yes, Hogan wore it, but more importantly Payne Stewart wore it, and I would imagine that is why Bryson D has worn it all throughout his SMU tenure and and in the tournaments since. Wouldn't be surprised to see him continue, because like Payne, when your are the only person wearing a particular piece of clothing, you are immediately recognizable, you establish a brand and you become a human cash register. Good for him.
fmced
Recruit

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 am

BUS wrote:On Saturday he ware a hat with the SMU Running Mustang logo.

Not a golf cap but a frenchy kind of cap.

And again did a two minute piece about smu, ncaa.

gostangs wrote:Not a fenchy hat - that's called a Hogan cap and is a nod to the history of the sport, which is another great part of Bryson.

Most commonly referred to as a "flat cap", but also a "driving hat" or "newsboy" it was made popular around 1500's in England then 1800's in America. Golfers in general wore the hat long before Hogan but he may have very well popularized it in the US due to his consistent wear.

DeChambeau may be considered to be wearing an old school hat but it has been around longer in golf than today's usage of the baseball cap - that originated in Brooklyn by the way. Don't even get me started on the nastiness that is the flat-brimmed phenomenon.

I may not know everything about sports but sadly I know fashion. There is a short history lesson for today. Nonetheless I really like Bryson's look with the mustang on the top.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:15 pm

fmced wrote:yes, Hogan wore it, but more importantly Payne Stewart wore it, and I would imagine that is why Bryson D has worn it all throughout his SMU tenure and and in the tournaments since. Wouldn't be surprised to see him continue, because like Payne, when your are the only person wearing a particular piece of clothing, you are immediately recognizable, you establish a brand and you become a human cash register. Good for him.

He was wearing it in high school.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Return to Other Sports