PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Johnsons earn All-AAC honors

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Johnsons earn All-AAC honors

Postby PonyPride » Thu May 05, 2016 2:24 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Johnson Twins Receive All-American Athletic Conference Honors
Hunter Earns Singles Honor, Pair Gets Doubles Recognition

May 5, 2016

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (SMU/AAC) – SMU juniors Hunter and Yates Johnson received All-American Athletic Conference recognition, the league office announced on Thursday. Hunter earned All-AAC honors in singles, and the duo of Hunter and Yates earned All-AAC honors in doubles.

With Hunter earning all-conference honors in singles and the duo of Hunter and Yates earning all-conference in doubles, this marks the sixth time in seven years that SMU has been given all-league recognition in both disciplines.

“I’m very excited and proud of Hunter and Yates for earning All-Conference honors,” said Head Coach Carl Neufeld. “I’m also proud of Nate Lammons who was nationally ranked in singles and doubles, but missed the cut on earning All-Conference honors. That just shows you how tough our conference is. With a record five teams making the NCAA Championships it proves to be one of the toughest leagues in the country. Again I’m very proud of Hunter and Yates for making the All-Conference team especially in their first year competing for the Mustangs.”

Hunter, the No. 72 singles player went 11-6 in the spring, playing either at courts one, two or three. He went 1-1 against ranked opponents in the spring, defeating then-No. 121 Arjun Kadhe of then-5th ranked Oklahoma State in straight sets. The New Braunfels, Texas, native was named American Athletic Conference Player of the Week on March 29. He also had five wins against players on ranked teams.

As SMU’s top doubles duo, Hunter and Yates went 17-5 in doubles in the spring, winning 12 of their last 14 matches. The No. 27 doubles duo were ranked seven of the eight weeks during the spring, and were ranked as high as No. 24 on April 5. The duo defeated then No. 8 Hayden Sabatka and Bart Van Leijsen of then-62nd ranked New Mexico State as well defeating then No. 9 Julian Cash and Kadhe of then-5th ranked Oklahoma State. The pair collected seven wins against duos on ranked teams.

The Mustangs face Washington in the first round of the NCAA Championship in Lubbock, Texas, on Saturday, May 14 at 10 a.m. CT.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports