PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Natatorium

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Natatorium

Postby smustatesman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:55 pm

How is the Robson/Lindley complex progressing ? Any photos ? Also, is this building/pool too close to the metro tracks ?............surf's up
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Re: New Natatorium

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

smustatesman wrote:How is the Robson/Lindley complex progressing ? Any photos ? Also, is this building/pool too close to the metro tracks ?............surf's up

Women's swim coach Steve Collins advised that he is posting construction photos on his Facebook page every week. I failed to get further details.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:27 am

PoconoPony wrote:
smustatesman wrote:How is the Robson/Lindley complex progressing ? Any photos ? Also, is this building/pool too close to the metro tracks ?............surf's up

Women's swim coach Steve Collins advised that he is posting construction photos on his Facebook page every week. I failed to get further details.

Grabbed the latest photos:

HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:47 am

How long is the pool going to be? For some reason, I had it in my head that we would have a 50M pool and a separate diving pool. Looking at that picture, it looks like the diving pool is going to be part of the "swimming pool."

Question: For speed purposes, does the configuration (two pools or 1 big pool with a bulkhead) of the pool matter? I remember my HS friend (who was a recruited athlete) wanted to go to a place with a "fast" pool.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Roach » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I thought I read that the pool would be 25. (And isn't it yards, not meters?)

Yes, the configuration is supposed to matter, making some pools "faster" than others (I had to ask a friend who swam at SMU.) What makes one faster than another, I have no clue. Sorry.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:21 pm

isn't shallower for longer faster? which is why they don't like to have the diving in the same pool?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyswim » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:42 pm

The pool will by 50 meters long and 25 years wide.
There will not be a separate diving pool, but the diving will be at one end of the main pool - obviously where the deeper water will be.
The deeper the water, the faster the pool - if everything else is equal.
The pool will be good enough to hold conference championships, but not national championship events.
The biggest thing it will do is enable the coaches to recruit more effectively to a much better training situation.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:49 am

smupony94

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:43 pm

ponyswim wrote:
The pool will be good enough to hold conference championships, but not national championship events.
The biggest thing it will do is enable the coaches to recruit more effectively to a much better training situation.

Ponyswim, can you elaborate on this? Will these facilities be Top 10, Top 20?

What are your expectations for our program going forward.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:57 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
ponyswim wrote:

This desperately needed long course (50m by 25yd) facility will help with training, recruiting and competition, including Conference Championship events. However, the design is a compromise with no separate diving well. This was a result of funding and size of the site. This limitation would means we will not be Top 20 facility.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Digetydog » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Water Pony wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
ponyswim wrote:

This desperately needed long course (50m by 25yd) facility will help with training, recruiting and competition, including Conference Championship events. However, the design is a compromise with no separate diving well. This was a result of funding and size of the site. This limitation would means we will not be Top 20 facility.

Question: would it be wise to focus on rebuilding the swim team vs allocating resources to diving? With so many pools removing diving boards for liability reasons, is diving likely to remain a viable college sport in the next xxx years?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyswim » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:09 pm

I think diving will be around for a long time. Diving boards disappear from many neighborhood/club pools for liability reasons, but diving is not particularly a dangerous sport compared to many others.

As far as top 20, etc. facility, I have been at 90% of the top 20 teams facilities, and I would say it would be in the top 15-25 depending on how you look at it. What really would help our facility would be if the project is soon completed with the 50 meter by 25 yard Outdoor pool next to it. Then may you can say it would be a top 10. Not necessarily to host an NCAA Championship, but the value of having that much space to train, and having the outdoor facility in addition. Off the top of my head these Big 12 are better - A&M, UT, Missou. SEC - Florida, Auburn, GA.
ACC - not sure any are - but I have not seen all the newest ones. Big Ten - Ohio State/Purdue are better. Pac 10 - most are outside so it is a little different - AZ, USC, Cal, Stanford are all really good.

Our coaches need to find a way to get elite recruits to get us back into the elite status. We will see it they can do that. A whole lot of great current programs really struggled till they got a new facility - Georgia and A&M to name a couple.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:34 am

The limitations of a separate warm up facility limit our pool from national events. Also, the seating capacity is far too small. Our facility is alright for short course ( 25 yard ) NCAA or high school events as you can warm up in the unused end of the pool behind the bulk head.

Our problem is that a world class facility should have been built commensurate with the PE facility; however, the BS and politics of the PE department killed the perfect setting and place for a great facility.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm

ponyswim wrote:I think diving will be around for a long time. Diving boards disappear from many neighborhood/club pools for liability reasons, but diving is not particularly a dangerous sport compared to many others.

As far as top 20, etc. facility, I have been at 90% of the top 20 teams facilities, and I would say it would be in the top 15-25 depending on how you look at it. What really would help our facility would be if the project is soon completed with the 50 meter by 25 yard Outdoor pool next to it. Then may you can say it would be a top 10. Not necessarily to host an NCAA Championship, but the value of having that much space to train, and having the outdoor facility in addition. Off the top of my head these Big 12 are better - A&M, UT, Missou. SEC - Florida, Auburn, GA.
ACC - not sure any are - but I have not seen all the newest ones. Big Ten - Ohio State/Purdue are better. Pac 10 - most are outside so it is a little different - AZ, USC, Cal, Stanford are all really good.

Our coaches need to find a way to get elite recruits to get us back into the elite status. We will see it they can do that. A whole lot of great current programs really struggled till they got a new facility - Georgia and A&M to name a couple.

FYI, Missou and A&M have been in the SEC for years now :D
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports