PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Women’s Soccer Signs Six For 2017

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Half of incoming signees hail from DFW

DALLAS (SMU) - Head Coach Chris Petrucelli, along with his coaching staff, has announced the signing of six student-athletes for the 2017 season.

The 2017 recruiting class consists of Sophie Adler, Hannah Allred, Haley Jackson, Isabelle "Izzy" Nashmi, Katia Novia and Alessandra "Ale" Winn.

"The coaching staff and our current team worked hard putting this talented class together," Petrucelli said. "We were able to attract some quality talent from right here in the metroplex which is always important to us. The fantastic academic reputation of SMU and the overall quality of our soccer program gave us the opportunity to reach some other areas to attract some real special players. We couldn't be happier to have these six wonderful student athletes join our team. Each day we received commitments from these players our team got better. Our whole team is looking forward to the day they arrive on campus. August is not far off. We can't wait for it to get here."

SOPHIE ADLER
Midfield/Defender |5-8 | Alexandria, Va. (West Potomac HS)

Athletics: Plays club for Lee Mount Vernon Patriots "RED" '98, and for Ed Thomas at West Potomac High School... Is the team captain for the Lee Mount Vernon Patriots "RED" '98… Lettered all four years... Earned Second-Team All-Conference Honors and was Honorable Mention All-Conference… Team captain her junior and senior year.

Academics: Member of the National Honors Society and Honor Roll… In 2016, she was a DECA District Winner… Anticipated major is Business.

Why SMU: I was attracted to SMU because I was looking for a school with a great business program, along with a rich sports history. SMU's focus on high academic achievement and service to its community are both characteristics I hold in high-esteem. From the moment I touched down in Dallas, I knew this was the school for me!

Petrucelli on Adler: "Sophie is a strong and talented athlete we found in one of our ID camps. Her athletic quality alone gives her the ability to contribute. She shows good composure on the ball and works hard off the ball. She's a quality student-athlete who should fit in very well"

HANNAH ALLRED
Forward/Midfield | 5-7 | Fort Worth, Texas (Nolan Catholic HS)

Athletics: A consistent selection for the US Soccer North Texas Training Center… Plays club for Dallas Texans ECNL and for Jay Fitzgerald at Nolan Catholic High School… With the Texans ECNL, helped the team to two Dallas International Girls Cup titles (2014 and 2016), along with the Texas Conference Championship in 2015… Earned the TopDrawer ECNL Phoenix Best XI as one of the tournaments top players… In 2014, was named a TopDrawer ECNL Texas Top 20 Player… During her tenure with the Texans, she helped the team to a top 25 National ECNL ranking twice, including a No. 4 ranking in 2015…In high school, was named the NCHS Co-Athlete of the year, while garnering Co-Player of the year and Offensive Player of the Year awards on the soccer team… Earned First Team All-State TAPPS Division I and First Team All-District TAPPS Division I honors… Was named DFWVarsity Area TOP 10 Scorer (29 goals/18 assists)… While at Keller Central HS, earned First Team All-District 4-6A and Second Team All-District 5-6A honors… …Also ran the 800m for Track and Field.

Academics: Member of the Academic Honor Roll all four years of high school… Anticipated major is Business.

Why SMU: First of all, the campus is gorgeous. I was struck by its beauty as soon as I walked on campus. Also, I knew it has a great business school, and business is something I've always been interested in. Finally, I love the coaches at SMU. They're amazing coaches who I know can do a lot for me on-and-off the field.

Petrucelli on Allred: "Her ability to score goals and play back to goal separate her from others. She makes our attack stronger with her presence. She strikes a ball well and can create her own shot. Hannah is one of the top players coming out of Texas this year. Very few have her goal scoring ability. However, there's more to her than that. She's a complete soccer player."

HALEY JACKSON
Goalkeeper | 5-7 | Allen, Texas (Allen HS)

Athletics: Plays club for Dallas Texans ECNL and for Kevin Albury at Allen High School… With the Texans ECNL, helped the team to two Dallas International Girls Cup titles (2014 and 2016), along with the Texas Conference Championship in 2015… In 2014-15, finished with a No. 4 ranking in the National ECNL standings, while finishing No. 1 in the ECNL Texas Conference… Allowed the fewest goals against in the Texas Conference and in the Top 5 nationally…. In 2013-14, allowed the fewest goals against in league play and finishing tied for 3rd lowest goals against in all of ECNL… In high school, helped lead the Eagles to District and Bi-District 6-6A championships… Was First Team All-District 6-6A in 2015-16 (0.29 GAA).

Academics: Member of the National Junior Honors Society… Is an AP Scholar with Honors… Anticipated major at SMU is Business.

Why SMU: I was attracted to SMU because it is one of the best schools in the country, the proximity to home, the opportunity to play with an amazing soccer program and the small class sizes.

Petrucelli on Jackson: "A goalkeeper who just saves the ball. She's athletic and determined in goal. I love her competitiveness and drive to win. Haley can make all the saves, communicates very well and is a strong leader. We're looking forward to watching her progress over the next four years."

ISABELLE "IZZY" NASHMI
Defender/Midfielder | 5-9 | Markham, Ontario, Canada (St. Augustine C.H.S)

Athletics: Plays club for Unionville Milliken Soccer Club (UMSC) and at St. Augustine C.H.S… Represented Canada in regional and national events… In 2016-17, was selected to represent team Ontario in the Canada Games 2017… Selected to represent team Ontario in the Ontario vs. Quebec Games… In 2014-15, was promoted to Regional Excel (REX) Senior Team Player… In 2013-14, selected to participate fulltime in the Canadian Women's EXCEL program (REX)… In 2013, selected for the U15 Provincial All Star Team in the Quebec vs. Ontario Series… In 2012, selected for the U14 Provincial Team (Travelled to France)… Recognized by the Mayor of Markham for outstanding achievement in sport at the Provincial and National level… Helped her club team win the 2015-16 OWSL League Title… Was the 2013 MVP of UMSC All-Star Tournament… In high school, 2015/16 York Region District Soccer Champions… Also played Volleyball, Basketball and Track and Field… Helped the volleyball and basketball teams to championships…Was the team captain and earned MVP honors in volleyball and basketball… Participated in Track and Field 100m, 200m, 400m 4x100, 4x400 relay & long jump.

Academics: Member of the Honor Roll… Anticipated major is Business.

Why SMU: I fell in love with the campus, the coaches and the field at SMU. The business school being one of the top in the country was a huge bonus too.

Petrucelli on Nashmi: "A talented, versatile and athletic player. She can play almost any position. She's confident, good in the air and good with the ball. She has the ability to contribute immediately. She caught my eye immediately when I watched her team. I saw Isabelle run the back line, cause problems going forward and play multiple positions. She has a large skill set which will translate well to college soccer."

KATIA NOVI
Midfielder/Forward | 5-3 | Glenview, Illinois (Loyola Academy)

Athletics: Plays club for Sockers FC Chicago and at the Loyola Academy under Craig Snower… Was ranked 114 on the IMG Academy 150 and No. 6 in the Midwest region… Helped win the US Club Soccer National Cup championship in 2012 and 2013… Was a PDP invite in 2014-15, and a Nike ECNL National Training Camp/id2 invite at Nike Headquarters in 2014… Was a member of the Illinois Olympic Development Program Girls 98' State teams (2009-2011), (2013-2014)… In 2014, was an Olympic Development Program National Championship Finalist.

Academics: Member of the National Honor Roll… Was the 2016 Ralph Lynch Youth Appreciation Award recipient (excellent young people in five different categories of achievement: Scholarship, Sportsmanship, Citizenship, Vocational Ability, and Religious Service)… Anticipated major is Business.

Why SMU: I am attracted to SMU because of the strong academic program, especially the Cox School of Business, it is a small, private university with a beautiful campus and has an excellent Division I soccer program with amazing staff and players

Petrucelli on Novi: "She's an active, quick and technical midfielder. She buzzes around the field causing all kinds of problems for a defense. She brings us some different qualities in midfield. Her runs and then her ability with the ball allow her to create goals both for herself and others. Katia is going to be a handful to deal with for opposing defenses"

ALESSANDRA "ALE" WINN
Midfielder/Forward | 5-4 | Garland, Texas (Naaman Forest)

Athletics: Plays club for the Dallas Sting ECNL Composite and at Naaman Forest High School under Joseph Horn… Was a member of the Olympic Development Program and US Youth Soccer National League… Was a '98 North Texas Olympic Development Region III Player Pool in 2009 and 2010, and worked with the '98 Olympic Development Program Region III Camp in Norman, Okla., in 2010… In high school was a four-year letterwinner… Has a brother who plays soccer for North Carolina.

Why SMU: I am attracted to SMU because of the great academics, excellent soccer program and the close proximity to home.

Petrucelli on Winn: "We like to bring left sided players in each year. Ale is a fast and technical player who plays off the left side. That type of player is hard to find. She gets up and down the field and is a real threat off the flank. She can beat players off the dribble and serves a quality ball. She's got a big upside so we expect she'll keep getting better."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports