PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Names Kim Cupini Head Rowing Coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:36 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

Five-Time WCC Coach Of The Year Heads To The Hilltop

DALLAS (SMU) – Kim Cupini has been named head rowing coach at SMU, Director of Athletics Rick Hart announced today.

Cupini arrives on the Hilltop after serving as head rowing coach at the University of San Diego for 10 seasons. There, she led the Toreros to four West Coast Conference championships, finishing as high as 15th at the NCAA Championships, and earned WCC Coach of the Year five times. Cupini led San Diego to its first of four conference championships in 2010, and, in 2014, the Toreros qualified for the first NCAA Championship appearance in program history, finishing 15th. USD was ranked in the top-20 nationally or received votes in the poll each of her final five seasons there.

"We are excited to welcome Coach Cupini to our Mustang family. She is a dynamic leader and has a great vision for SMU rowing. In partnership with her staff and our student-athletes, we will develop a championship culture and position our program for national prominence," said Hart.

"I am honored to be SMU's next head rowing coach and am excited to work with the student-athletes at this outstanding institution. Rick Hart, along with the athletics staff at SMU, have a great vision for the rowing program and are extremely supportive," Cupini exclaimed. "I am grateful for their trust in my abilities to build this program to a championship level. I have nothing but gratitude for my time spent at USD and I am sincerely thankful to the athletes as well as those who have supported me through my career. I am looking forward to this opportunity at SMU and excited to see where we can take it!"

Cupini started her coach career as an assistant at San Diego in 2003 for two seasons, while assisting for the Toreros athletic academic support department. In 2005, she joined the staff at UCF, coaching for two seasons as an assistant before returning to San Diego as head coach. She helped lead the Knights to the program's first US Rowing/CRCA Coaches' Poll Top-20 ranking during the 2005-06 season and the first NCAA Championship appearance in 2007, being one of sixteen teams to earn a NCAA Championship berth.

As a member of the San Diego rowing team, Cupini was a three time MVP and earned All-WCC honors in 2001 and 2003, and Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association All-Conference accolades in 2002 and 2003. She also made the WCC All-Academic team, and earned a degree in environmental studies with a minor in business administration.

A native of Rochester, N.Y., Cupini served on the NCAA West Regional Committee, holds a Level III USRowing certification and advanced coaching certifications.

"I'd like to thank our rowing sport administrator, Kyle Conder, and his hiring committee for their work in this search," said Hart. "They did a great job."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports