PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Noah Goodwin wins US Junior Amateur

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Noah Goodwin wins US Junior Amateur

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Huge comeback today down four with eight to play. Wins hole 36 to take the title. Looking forward to seeing him on The Hilltop in January!

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/goodwin-rallies-win-us-junior-am/

ANDOVER, Kan. - Noah Goodwin rallied to beat Matthew Wolff 1 up in 100-degree heat Saturday in the U.S. Junior Amateur final to become the third player to win a year after losing the title match.

The 17-year-old Goodwin, from Corinth, Texas, was four holes down with eight to play at Flint Hills National before pulling off the second-biggest comeback in tournament history.

''It's every junior's dream to win the U.S. Junior,'' Goodwin said. ''It's the most prestigious junior event in the entire world. Everybody knows about it, and to add my name among the greats like Jordan Spieth and Tiger Woods just means everything to me.''

Goodwin works with Spieth's instructor, Cameron McCormick, and the noted teacher was quick to send his pupil a congratulatory text message.

''That just means a lot,'' Goodwin said. ''He's done so much for my game. I can't really express my gratitude for Cameron. I wouldn't be where I am without him.''

The match ended when Wolff conceded Goodwin's 6-foot birdie putt on the par-5 36th. Wolff drove left into the water hazard and was facing a putt for double bogey.

Goodwin plans to graduate from high school early and enroll at SMU in January.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports