PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Swimming and Diving

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Swimming and Diving

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 am

EastStang wrote:Actually to add men's and women's lacrosse, you have to add another 1/2 a women's sport due to Title IX. So, what other women's sport do you want to fund in addition to these two teams? Beach volleyball would be nice. Don't see us adding bowling, or shooting, or skiing.

There are virtually no other sports that do not involve large numbers of athletes. Softball is the sport most missing for future conference affiliations, but requires a number of athletes and mucho $$$$. Gymnastics, rifle and bowling would require lower numbers and could use out side campus facilities. Ice hockey and field hockey are simply sports where many athletes are not available particularly in Texas, would require extensive facilities and vast travel. I wonder if debate is and NCAA sport?
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Maryland78 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

Maybe water polo...have other pool at rec center to train, as well.
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 pm

triathlon
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:19 am

Maryland78 wrote:Maybe water polo...have other pool at rec center to train, as well.

You cannot play water polo in a 4 foot deep pool.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
Maryland78 wrote:Maybe water polo...have other pool at rec center to train, as well.

You cannot play water polo in a 4 foot deep pool.

Yes you can. It's a lot easier too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 pm

lol @ Dedman/rec dept and the athletics department cooperating on anything.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 am

I remember back in the 70's when some of our swimmers formed a Water Polo club and had a practice game with the Aggies nationally ranked team. Despite their inexperience, the speed of the Ponies kept them in the game. It was a pretty entertaining game.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Swimming and Diving

Postby PonySnob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

EastStang wrote:I remember back in the 70's when some of our swimmers formed a Water Polo club and had a practice game with the Aggies nationally ranked team. Despite their inexperience, the speed of the Ponies kept them in the game. It was a pretty entertaining game.

LAGNAF
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm

I like canon balls
One Trick Pony

Postby smustatesman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 am

I remember Coach Barr teaching phys-ed class water polo back in 19701/71. And, OTP remember to keep your powder dry with your CB's.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 pm

smustatesman wrote:I remember Coach Barr teaching phys-ed class water polo back in 19701/71. And, OTP remember to keep your powder dry with your CB's.

On limited occasions, CB would call for water polo at our 5:30 AM swim team practices in the mid 60s. Part of the team had played water polo in high school and the rest of us felt like we had simply engaged in an hour and one half of un-ending sprints. Talk about waking up in a hurry and finishing totally worn out.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 am

PoconoPony wrote:
smustatesman wrote:I remember Coach Barr teaching phys-ed class water polo back in 19701/71. And, OTP remember to keep your powder dry with your CB's.

On limited occasions, CB would call for water polo at our 5:30 AM swim team practices in the mid 60s. Part of the team had played water polo in high school and the rest of us felt like we had simply engaged in an hour and one half of un-ending sprints. Talk about waking up in a hurry and finishing totally worn out.

Thanks, Pocono

I agree. The need to quickly sprint in water polo was surprisingly demanding. Short intervals were tough, but effective. Besides, catching a wet ball while moving was a great skill to master. Fun!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Previous

Return to Other Sports