PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's soccer adds seven signees

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's soccer adds seven signees

Postby PonyPride » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:54 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

SMU Women's Soccer Adds Seven For 2018

DALLAS (SMU) -- Head coach Chris Petrucelli, along with his coaching staff, has announced the signing of seven student-athletes for the 2018 season.

The 2018 recruiting class consists of Danielle Escutia, Samantha Estrada, Kierstin Flint, Brooke Golik, Brigitta Pulins, Courtney Sebazco and Celiana Torres.

"I think it is a really talented class," head coach Chris Petrucelli said. "A number of them have international experience and playing with their international teams always exposes players to a different game of soccer. All of them have played at a really high level and they up our talent level immediately. I think a number of them are good enough to play right away and it will be interesting to see where and how they fit in with our current team. We have a number of talented players returning and with the addition of this group our team will be better."

Danielle Escutia
Defender | 5-6 | Austin, Texas (St. Michael's Catholic Academy)

Prep: Plays club for ECNL Sting Austin 99 under Oscar Dragucevich… Helped the club to the regional playoffs in 2016 and 2017… Helped the squad to Disney Soccer Showcase Championship in 2015 and 2016… Team Captain for two years… Is a four-year letterwinner at St. Michael's Catholic Academy under Carolyn Leatherman and Tim Keyes… Named First-Team All-District three times and All-State Honorable Mention twice… Helped win the 2018 District Championship… Three consecutive state championships in cross country… Named All-State Cross Country during her sophomore year.

Academics: Member of the National Honor Society…. A four-year member and is currently president of the National Art Honors Society.

Why SMU: "I was in love with SMU from the very first time I visited the campus. The welcoming environment of the students and professors was exactly the community I was searching for. It is also a great fit for me academically. I have two brothers that attend SMU and I like how SMU has a philosophy where they want students to find what they want to do, and how each degree has a liberal arts component for a more well-rounded student."

Petrucelli's thoughts: "Danielle is a good athlete. She is a wide player, whether in the attack or defense, we still have to figure out, but her athletic ability alone gives her the opportunity to complete right off. She's a smart soccer player who works really hard. Watching her play it's clear she's a good teammate. She'll fit in well."

Samantha Estrada
Goalkeeper | 6-0 | El Paso, Texas (The Woodlands HS/El Dorado HS)

Prep: Participated in two U-18 USWNT Camps...Selected as the TASCO All-Region Goalkeeper of 2015-2016… Awarded District MVP in 2015-2016... Selected to the First Team All-District 2014-2015 and 2015-2016… Awarded goalkeeper of the year of 2014-2015… Lettered two years in high school… Played club for Houston Dash DA and varsity soccer for The Woodlands High School.

Academics: Member of the A and AB honor roles … Awarded AVID all-around-girl… Plans to major in Sports Management.

Why SMU: "The amazing coaching staff… The student atmosphere is fantastic… Student spirit."

Petrucelli's Thoughts: "Sam is a big, strong talented athlete. She has a good amount of experience and has spent some time with the US team recently. She is long and is able to get to balls because of that length. She is going to be a really good goalkeeper for us over the next four years. We're really excited to add Sam to our goalkeeping unit. It's not often you come upon goalkeepers with Sam's ability."

Kierstin Flint
Goalkeeper | 5-6 | Laguna Hills, California (Santa Margarita Catholic High School)

Prep: Competed for So Cal Blues Soccer Club where she won the 2015 ECNL National Championship… Team captain of her high school varsity team… Trinity League Champion in 2018… Selected to the 2017 Second Team All Trinity League… Voted MVP of her JV team her freshman year… Lettered three years in high school

Academics: Selected as a California Scholarship Federation freshman-senior year… 4X recognized as a student athlete with a GPA above 3.5

Why SMU: "I am attracted to SMU because I love the campus life. When I walk on campus I feel right at home. Also everyone is super nice and genuine when I talk to them."

Petrucelli Thoughts: "She's a goalkeeper we've seen for a few years through our camp program. She loves SMU and she's a had dream to come here. She will certainly give us another option in the goal and add depth that we haven't had before."

Brooke Golik
Defender | 5-9 | Tarzana, California (Sierra Canyon School)

Prep: Competed for Real So. Cal. Girls 00 Academy Team… Advanced to the quarterfinals in the National Playoffs in 2017…Selected to the 2016 and 2017 First Team All-League…Selected to the All-CIF Southern Section in Division 4… Selected to the 2017 All-Area Second Team…Selected to the 2015 Second Team All-League… Awarded the Most Inspirational Player Award in 2017 … Division 5 CIF Champion in 2015… Division 4 CIF Champion in 2017… Southern Section State Regional Champions in 2015 and 2017… Gold Coast League Champions in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Academics: Member of National Honors Society, National Spanish Honors Society, and the National Society of High School Scholars… Awarded the 2017 Mathematics Department Award and 2017 Trailblazer Award.

Why SMU: "Not only was I attracted to the coaching and team environment of SMU's women soccer team, but SMU sets up student athletes to succeed and thrive both in the classroom and on the field. SMU also had the engineering program I was looking for as well as a great student life and campus."

Petrucelli's Thoughts: "Brooke is a really good athlete. She is tall, lean and a good soccer player. She can play off the leftside, which is always a positive, and she can play centrally. She does well in the attack but has spent a lot of time in defense. She is good in the air. We're going to have to figure out the right spot for her within our team, but there is a chance she'll be on the field quickly. We'll utilize her size in different ways and try to find areas where she can have an impact."

Brigitta Pulins
Forward/Midfield | 5-10 | Toronto, Ontario (St. Joseph's College School)

Prep: Competed in UEFA European Women's U17 and U19 Championships (Qualifying and Elite rounds)…Competed as a U17 and U19 Hungarian National Player…Competed as a U14-16 Ontario Provincial Player… Invited to Canada's National Training Program in 2014… 2016 National Finalists… 2016 Ontario Cup Champion… 2016 OYSL Finalist… 2015 OYSL West Division Champions(undefeated season)… 2014 OYSL League Provincial Champions… 2014 Ontario Coupe De Quebec Champions… 2014 Ontario Indoor Cup Champions… 2014 represented Canada for US Youth Futsal U14 and U16 Championships…also competed in Cross Country, Track and Field, and Field Hockey.

Academics: Member of the honor roll from 2012-2017… Awarded the 2014 Physical Education Award.

Why SMU: "I was attracted to SMU because of its strong culture and high performing academics. SMU's approach to student athletes is also disciplined and supportive."

Petrucelli's thoughts: "She is a player who can score, whether that's in the midfield or up front, she is ability to play both roles. She is a very good scorer player. I think she understands the game at a high level and I think she will do real well. I love her versatility, work ethic and soccer knowledge."

Courtney Sebazco
Midfielder | 5-6 | Fort Worth, Texas (Timber Creek High School)

Prep: Participated in player development training for the national team… Awarded 2017 District MVP… Selected to the 2017 First Team All-District… Awarded 2014 Newcomer of the Year… Competed for Solar Soccer Club… Lettered three years in high school.

Why SMU: "Coaching staff… Education… Location"

Petrucelli's Thoughts: "Courtney is a really good player. I've been watching her play for a long time. She is very good on the ball and she can score goals because she strikes the ball really well. She is a play-making player in the midfield. Her passing, both short and long is outstanding. She's competitive, hardworking and talented. She's just a real high-level player. I'm excited to watch her continued development."

Celiana Torres
Midfielder |5-3 | Chicago, Illinois (Intrinsic Schools)

Prep: Competed for the Mexican U17 National Team 2014-present… Competed in the 201t6 Jordan World Cup… Only female player nominated for the 2016 Mexican U17 National Team Best Goal Award… Scored a hat trick against PSG in preparation for the World Cup… Played in ten international games with seven goals… Scored two goals against Canada in the 2015 International Tournament in California… Attended several training camps with the Mexican U17 National Team… Member of the 2014 US National U14 Team… Attended ID2 Camps… Attended a US Camp in 2014.

Academics: Member of the senior honor roll… Plans to major in Human Rights, Sports Psychology, or Business.

Why SMU: "The moment I stepped onto campus I felt a positive vibe. The connections I built with the coaches and teammates made me comfortable being part of the Mustang family. The schools that I have attended growing up have been Mustang mascots and I am excited to continue my Mustang pride. SMU's motto is 'World Changers' and ever since I was little I've wanted to make a difference in communities with need. Because SMU focuses on helping and changing the world, I knew this was the perfect fit for me."

Petrucelli's Thoughts: "She has had a fantastic youth career. She played in the U17 World Cup, she has been an international player for Mexico for a long time and also spent a little time with the US team when she was younger. Her experience is outstanding. She is very, very talented, left-footed and can score, especially from distance. She also has outstanding playmaking abilities. She can play up front, in the midfield, central or wide. She has a contagious love for soccer that will be good for our team. I can't say enough good things about her."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Women's soccer adds seven signees

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Tough to match that 2016 class but this class look like it could be in that category.

Lots of international experience too which is great.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports