PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU names new men's tennis coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU names new men's tennis coach

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Chen Named Head Coach of SMU Men's Tennis

DALLAS (SMU) - Grant Chen has been named Head Men's Tennis Coach at SMU, Director of Athletics Rick Hart announced Tuesday, June 5.

"My wife and I are excited for this new chapter in our life as we move to Dallas and join the SMU family," said Chen. "We share the same vision for SMU Tennis and are excited about this opportunity to grow the program. I'd like to say a special thank you to President Turner, Director of Athletics Rick Hart and Deputy Director of Athletics Kurt Pottkotter for giving me this amazing opportunity to lead the men's program.

"The SMU Tennis Complex is, in my opinion, the premier tennis facility in the country and we are excited to showcase it to the world with elite-level training and competition. The SMU campus is a beautiful place to be and the Mustang community is unlike any other. Pony Up!"

"As we went through this process, Grant's name kept coming up from a variety of sources," said Hart. "It was very clear that he is a rising star in the tennis community and would bring great energy and work ethic to the job, in addition to being a great teacher and recruiter. With the investments we have made in our tennis program and facilities in recent years, we expect to compete for national championships, and that is an expectation Grant embraces. I have no doubt that we will quickly return to our position as one of the nation's elite tennis programs with Grant at the helm.

"I want to thank our SMU tennis alumni and supporters, our Faculty Athletic Representative Paul Rogers, Chair of the Athletic Council Dan Orlovsky and Assistant A.D. Susan Vollmerhausen for their participation and support in the search. I also want to thank and congratulate Kurt Pottkotter for leading this successful search."

Chen comes to the Hilltop from UCLA, where he served Bruin Head Coach Billy Martin for over 15 years in a multitude of roles, ranging from team manager to associate head coach.

For the past three seasons, Chen has served as Associate Head Coach, and, prior to that, he served as Assistant Coach for three years. During Chen's six seasons on Martin's coaching staff, the Bruins registered a 149-28 record (.842) and reached the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Championships five times. This past season, UCLA posted its third semifinal-round appearance of the stretch and totaled 30 wins for the first time in Martin's tenure. The Bruins also collected four Pac-12 regular-season titles and three tournament trophies during Chen's time on staff.

Chen got his start with the Bruins as a student manager in 2001, as he played a pivotal role in the organization and growth of Martin's annual on-campus summer camp while fulfilling necessary off-court duties. The Bruins captured the NCAA title in 2005, Chen's penultimate year in the role. Chen's jack-of-all-trades skillset resulted in his hiring as Director of Operations upon his graduation from UCLA in 2006. He handled logistics, travel, equipment and management of all home events, including ITA Kick-Off Weekend, NCAA Regionals and the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships.

A fixture in the tennis community both at home and abroad, Chen currently serves on the board of directors for ITA and USTA Southern California. A busy summer 2017 saw Chen guide Team Southern California to the title at the USTA Boys National Team Championships in Champaign, Ill., before leading Team USA and the mixed doubles duo of Bruins Jada Hart and Logan Staggs to a bronze medal at the 29th Summer Universiade in Taipei. Chen briefly ventured into a role with Pure Sports Management in 2007, but maintained his ties to UCLA as head coach of its club tennis team.

--

What They're Saying About Grant Chen:

"Grant Chen has proven to the college tennis world that he is absolutely legit. I have never met a person who can do more things at the same time so well. Grant is a force to be reckoned with. SMU and the Dallas area should look out… Coach Chen is coming to town." - Peter Smith, Head Coach, USC

"Grant is one of the hardest working guys in our sport. He is so deserving of this opportunity and SMU is lucky to have someone of his character leading the Mustang tennis program." - Adam Steinberg, Head Coach, Michigan

"Grant Chen possesses amazing energy, wonderful creativity and outstanding interpersonal skills. The ITA is excited about, and grateful for, the increased leadership and service that he is assuming within our sport and our Association. College tennis is better place for student athletes, fans and coach colleagues because of Grant's large presence and grand spirit. Congratulations to the SMU Mustangs on an absolutely fantastic hire!" - Timothy Russell, Chief Executive Officer, Intercollegiate Tennis Association

"Few people have the passion for tennis that Grant has. Even fewer have the worth ethic and tennis knowledge at so many different levels. He is that rare person who has tennis coaching skills that translate to all levels. Grant is a huge asset to any school that is fortunate enough to have his help." - Paul Annacone, Former ATP player and coach of Roger Federer and Pete Sampras

"SMU and Grant are at the start of something very special. There are very few people who I trust more than Grant, and I know he will give his absolute all to the program and help take SMU to new heights." - Marcos Giron, 2014 NCAA Singles Champion
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU names new men's tennis coach

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 am

Now that we have hired an assistant coach from SoCal we can sit back and relax until the mid 2040s when we revisit Men's tennis again.

(All kidding aside - looks like an excellent hire!)
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HorsePower » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 am

Hopefully he can inject the program with some of that energy. SMU should be better than it has been in recent years. Hopefully he can recruit like a madman to that facility we have.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Sounds like a great hire with energy and enthusiasm. Great kudos from coaches who know him. No reason that SMU cannot become the center for tennis in Texas with the right college program and USTA connections for programs to be held at SMU. Chen has all the qualifications and experience to make SMU a huge program and power.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports