PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC adds Old Dominion as affiliate member for rowing

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AAC adds Old Dominion as affiliate member for rowing

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 pm

From SMUMustangs.com/AAC:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco has announced that Old Dominion University will join the Conference as an affiliate member for women’s rowing beginning on July 1, 2018. With the addition of the Monarchs in 2018-19, The American will be an eight-team women’s rowing league and also will include UCF, UConn, SMU, Temple and Tulsa and existing affiliate members Sacramento State and San Diego State.

“I take great pleasure in welcoming Old Dominion to the American Athletic Conference as an affiliate member in women’s rowing,” said Aresco. “The decision to add ODU will be mutually beneficial for the Monarchs and our conference, provide our student-athletes with increased competitive opportunities and enhance our brand and national exposure in the sport of women’s rowing. I want to thank ODU athletic director Wood Selig for his assistance in making this happen and I applaud his outstanding work at ODU. I look forward to the continued development and success of women’s rowing in our league.”

Women’s rowing began varsity competition at ODU in 2008. The Monarchs were most recently members of the Big 12 Conference (2014-18) and also competed in Conference USA (2012-14) and Colonial Athletic Association (2008-12). ODU is coached by Dan Garbutt, a former All-American at Princeton University and member of the United States National Team. He began his coaching career at the University of Washington and also spent two seasons as an assistant coach at Northeastern. Since 2009, the Monarchs’ rowing program has produced 11 all-conference selections.

In the spring of 2011, ODU opened a $2.3 million state-of-the-art, two-story and 13,000 square foot boathouse minutes from the Norfolk, Virginia campus. The rowing center represented a joint project between the city of Norfolk and the University.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: AAC adds Old Dominion as affiliate member for rowing

Postby horsemanx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Big news!

Looks like a nice rowing conference!
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm

PonyPride wrote: In the spring of 2011, ODU opened a $2.3 million state-of-the-art, two-story and 13,000 square foot boathouse minutes from the Norfolk, Virginia campus. The rowing center represented a joint project between the city of Norfolk and the University.

Sounds like they have made some investment to be a top rowing program. How committed is SMU?

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smupony94 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Didn't the SMU coach approach people at White Rock and offer scholarships even if he hadn't seen them actually row?
smupony94

Postby mtrout » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Jim Copeland hire.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 am

I hope this isn't affecting our offseason preparation!

Although I imagine this time of year the team would more likely be spending time on the erg.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/environment/2018/06/28/burst-pipe-sends-1-million-gallons-sewage-flowing-toward-white-rock-lake

Approximately 1 million gallons of raw sewage spilled out of a ruptured pipe and are expected to reach Dallas' White Rock Lake late Thursday or early Friday, according to a Texas Commission on Environmental Quality spokesman.

The city of Dallas has postponed all water recreation activities at the lake until further notice, but there is no danger to the city's drinking water.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Other Sports