PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

9/22/00 Men's Soccer: SMU 7, Drury 0

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

9/22/00 Men's Soccer: SMU 7, Drury 0

Postby PonyPride » Sat Sep 23, 2000 1:01 pm

SMU men's soccer head coach Schellas Hyndman has said all along that when playing well, his team is among the best offensive teams in the nation. Based on its most recent games, Hyndman is right. Midfielder Matt Whitely had a pair of goals, and midfielder Diego Walsh had a goal and three assists as the Mustangs pounded Drury College, 7-0, Friday night at Westcott Field. In the past four games, the Mustangs have outscored their opponents, 24-1 .... and that one goal was a penalty kick. The Mustangs haven't allowed a live-action goal since their 3-2 win at St. Louis Sept. 10.

"We expected to win -- this was a game we knew we should win," SMU head coach Schellas Hyndman said. "I thought we played very well for the first 18 or 20 minutes and really broke them down."

The Mustangs got on the scoreboard in the eighth minute when midfielder Whitely finished a beautiful pass from Walsh to gove the Ponies a 1-0 lead. Less than two minutes later, Walsh doubled the Mustangs' lead with a goal off an assist from Mohamed Fahim.

In the 16th minute, SMU's Luchi Gonzalexz was hauled down in the Drury penalty box. Midfielder Bret Corbin had his penalty kick saved, but he chased down the rebound and pounded it past Drury goalkeeper Mike Gallagher to make the score SMU 3, Drury 0. Then, with just four seconds remaining in the first half, Gonzalez lifted a corner kick into the center of the field, where Whitely headed in his second goal of the game.

"Matt Whitely is so strong in the air," Hyndman said. "He's very quick, and he's able to find nice goals like that. He's a big part of our offense."

In the second half, Fahim and Walsh hooked up again, this time with Fahim scoring off a feed from Walsh in the 58th minute. Three minutes later, Gonzalez curled a direct kick over the defensive wall into the net from 25 yards out to make the score 6-0, SMU.

The Mustangs' final tally came in the 77th minute, when Giovanni Solorzano scored on Walsh's third assist of the night.

Despite the rout, Hyndman said his team's performance was far from perfect.

"I was concerned that after we broke them down and got ahead, we started to play down to their level," Hyndman said. "I told the boys that if they played down at that level, that I'd pull them off the field and get some of our reserves into the game.

"This is the kind of game that as a coach, I don't really like. You worry about injuries, or about players picking up cards. But we got through it without anyone getting hurt and got a good win."

Fahim, a first-team All-America selection last year as a sophomore and a candidate for this year's Herrman Trophy (soccer's equivalent to the Heisman Trophy), now has eight goals in eight games.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports