PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hyndman and former SMU assistant gets their due

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hyndman and former SMU assistant gets their due

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:04 pm

That same website lists former SMU All-America and assistant coach Kevin Grimes, now the head coach at Cal, as one of the best teaching coaches in the country.

"Kevin Grimes - California - Grimes is a relative newcomer in terms of years as a head coach. In fact, the 2000 season was Grimes' first as the head coach of the California Golden Bears. Prior to that he served as an assistant coach at Southern Methodist University for three seasons and had the opportunity to learn at the hand of Schellas Hyndman. As a player at S.M.U. Grimes was a two-time first team All-American and a two-time Herman Award Finalist. Although he does not have the years of college head coaching experience that many others have, Grimes is an excellent teacher and he knows what it takes for his players and team to succeed. His ability to work effectively with his players and to instill a balanced system of play has already begun to yield dividends for California."

Meanwhile, they list SMU head coach Schellas Hyndman as one of the nation's premier recruiters.

"Schellas Hyndman - Southern Methodist University - Hyndman, like Yeagley at Indiana, has established that he is in it for the long run. His teams have consistently been successful. Hyndman has produced a winning season at S.M.U. ever since he took the head coaching position in 1984. A talented coach, Hyndman, is also an excellent recruiter. Whether they are from Miami, Florida or Dallas, Texas; Hyndman does an excellent job of identifying and attracting top talent to S.M.U. "

Congratulations to both Schellas and Kevin - although Hyndman obviously should have been on the list of the nation's best teaching coaches, too. You're not that great for that long without knowing how to teach.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Re: Hyndman and former SMU assistant gets their due

Postby PK » Wed Aug 08, 2001 7:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyGirl:
<B>Congratulations to both Schellas and Kevin - although Hyndman obviously should have been on the list of the nation's best teaching coaches, too. You're not that great for that long without knowing how to teach.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on PonyGirl!! Hyndman is a great coach and we are oh so lucky that he likes it here at SMU!!! Hope he stay with us forever.

It will be awesomme if the team wins the National title this year. We all need to get out and support these guys at the games!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Cal Pony » Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:44 pm

Excellent to see the praise for our team. What a coup if they can make it to the end and stay #1! All SMU sports need all our support. It was what helped draw me to SMU from where I grew up (which was LA). I always supported the soccer and swim teams when I was at SMU. One of my best friends was a diver @ SMU, and two close friends were walk-ons for the soccer team. The head coaches then are still there today which, to me, speaks volumes about their quality and dedication!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby The Q » Sun Aug 19, 2001 7:07 pm

Carl Bussey is coming back faster than expected, and should be ready to go before the middle of the season. He was supposed to miss most or all of the season, and already he's running and doing light training with the team. Keep up hte hard work Carl -- the Ponies are going to win it all.
The Q
Varsity

Return to Other Sports