PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Title IX

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Title IX

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:16 pm

I think it's great that we're adding another sport. Softball is cool to watch, and women's lacrosse is really cool. Much different game than the version guys play.

Not really into the gymnastics idea, personally. But that's just me.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Title IX

Postby Water Pony » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:55 pm

I vote for Lacrosse, the new "hot" sport for Men and Women. My son play Club Lacrosse at SMU and a great women's conference exists with Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Penn State, Ohio State, etc.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:57 am

Back when the Earth was warm, I started the lax club program at SMU. Both my kids are playing up here with my son going to Conn College next year to continue his play. For a women's program to start, you need for some interest with the students. You can offer only 12.6 scholarships and will need over 25 players (a lot of teams use 1/2 & 1/3 scholarships to achieve this). Cost of transportation is high with Vandy as the closest college. My guess is it will be softball, although no place to play. Lacrosse is great because you will be able to recruit kids who don't have sport as their only interest (no professional team). It also would tie you to some quality DI programs (Vandy, Northwestern, Ivies). Beside travel costs, lax is very cheap (head coach & grad assistant is all you need). Would be interesting, however my guess is it will be softball.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:58 pm

Thanks, Boston. Excellent summary. Any updates on which sports are being seriously considerd.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports