PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Baseball?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Baseball?

Postby BurntOrange » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:24 pm

Hello, I had a question about the baseball team. Why isn't there a baseball team?

I am new to Mustang athletics, and I understand there used to be a team, but when did it shut down and why? It seems to me there are plenty of good recruits in the DFW area, and under the right circumstances, a baseball team can thrive at a small private school. (Rice for example)

Thanks in advance...
Image Image
BurntOrange

Re: SMU Baseball?

Postby PK » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:14 pm

Not actually sure of dates, etc., but we had a baseball team in the late 60's, but they weren't all that good. We had no on-campus facilities, i.e., no stadium....so games were played in a public park next to Turtle Creek down by Maple Avenue. I cannot confirm this, but I believe baseball was deleted when Title IX was enacted in the early 70's to try to balance the gender equation for athletics. I could be wrong on the reason and timing. If anyone else knows more, please post it.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:22 am

I also heard it had to do with Title IX. It's a shame...
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mickey » Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:35 pm

SMU had a baseball team until the early 70's. The field was where Wescott Field is presently located. The track was inside Ownby around the football practice field.
Mickey
All-American

Postby PK » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mickey:
<B>SMU had a baseball team until the early 70's. The field was where Wescott Field is presently located. The track was inside Ownby around the football practice field.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that just a practice field?? In the mid to late 60's all the games were played off campus to the best of my recollection.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports