PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

VIDEO: Men's soccer rolls Lipscomb, 3-0

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

VIDEO: Men's soccer rolls Lipscomb, 3-0

Postby PonyPride » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:01 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

Mustangs Dominate First Half On Way To 3-0 Season Opening Win

DALLAS (SMU) -- The SMU men's soccer team used three first half goals to start their season off with a 3-0 victory versus the 2018 ASUN Championships, Lipscomb Bisons.

The Mustangs (1-0-0) took the lead in the 24th minute when Nicky Hernandez received a cross from Eddie Munjoma at the top of the box and found the upper corner off a bicycle kick. A few minutes later Hernandez would strike again, when the junior put his second goal of the night past the Lipscomb keeper to give the Mustangs a cushion. His two first-half goals netted the Dallas native his first multi-goal game of his SMU career.

"From the second I hit it, I knew it was perfect." Hernandez said. "I didn't see it go in, it just felt really good."

Later in the first half, DJ Williams subbed in for the Mustangs and as the first half was winding to a close, the senior broke free from the Lipscomb (0-1-1) defense and rocketed a goal to give SMU a comfortable 3-0 lead heading into the break.

In the second half, both teams had multiple chances, but neither could convert, resulting in a season-opening 3-0 Mustangs victory.

SMU outshot the Bisons 13-3, as the SMU backline that allowed an AAC-low 19 goals in 2018, proved its dominance once again. Junior goalkeeper Grant Makela was stellar in net, as he was tested twice on Friday night, but stopped both shots on goal to earn his first clean sheet of the season.

"It was a good performance. It wasn't the most beautiful, but we were effective and we played the way we wanted to." Head Coach Kevin Hudson said. "We were really efficient in front of goal, created some really good chances, and scored some really outstanding goals."

The Mustangs, who received votes in the initial United Soccer Coaches poll, will look to win their second game in as many tries on Monday night when they host Houston Baptist at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field.

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: VIDEO: Men's soccer rolls Lipscomb, 3-0

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Both goals by Hernandez were beauties.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby dalpony » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:28 pm

PonyPride - do you have a video of the two goals you could share? Or at least the bicycle kick
dalpony
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 am

I don't have one, but I'll see if I can get it. Both excellent goals, and the bike — it made SportsCenter's top 10 for a reason.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby dalpony » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 am

Thanks
dalpony
Varsity