PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Time to recognize

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Time to recognize

Postby soccermom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm

mr. pony wrote:Why does SMU soccer and volleyball charge NOTHING to attend those games?

Probably to try to get the people who don’t like soccer to come watch a game and see how fun they can be.
User avatar
soccermom
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:48 am
Location: League City, Tx

Re: Time to recognize

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Cinci doesn't charge either for them,
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Fort Thomas, KY

Re: Time to recognize

Postby mr. pony » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:47 pm

soccermom wrote:
mr. pony wrote:Why does SMU soccer and volleyball charge NOTHING to attend those games?

Probably to try to get the people who don’t like soccer to come watch a game and see how fun they can be.


I mean, those sports clearly depend on football and basketball for their existence.
It just seems odd they wouldn’t at least try to bring in a LITTLE revenue.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Time to recognize

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Those who bash soccer have probably never been to a match to appreciate the athleticism of the players and just how physical a game it can be.


It's called track only with alot of flops. I mean there's a whole section of YouTube dedicated to flops which is entirely centered around the "sport" of soccer.
#19 SMU #PonyUpDallas BTHO Temple
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Time to recognize

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Those who bash soccer have probably never been to a match to appreciate the athleticism of the players and just how physical a game it can be.


It's called track only with alot of flops. I mean there's a whole section of YouTube dedicated to flops which is entirely centered around the "sport" of soccer.


It’s called the biggest most popular game on the planet. I love me some football but as a sport it will never touch the purity of soccer. Soccer never sold out to tv and commercialism.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
User avatar
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4321
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Time to recognize

Postby Bishrag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:13 am

Always Bizarre when people bash another sport for no reason. Also very bizarre people acting like our football team is revenue generating. Love the sport but If you think the crowd which is less than a high school game offsets the huge expense difference between the soccer team and the football team.....at least use donations the program brings as an example or something.
Bishrag
Recruit
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Time to recognize

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 am

But...never let facts get in the way of your argument!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 19324
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Time to recognize

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 am

Soccer is a blast. It has more technique to it than just about every other sport. I love getting to the game when SMU plays up here. Already got October 26 on the calendar.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Fort Thomas, KY

Re: Time to recognize

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 am

Bishrag wrote:Always Bizarre when people bash another sport for no reason. Also very bizarre people acting like our football team is revenue generating. Love the sport but If you think the crowd which is less than a high school game offsets the huge expense difference between the soccer team and the football team.....at least use donations the program brings as an example or something.


Bashing an activity is always fun!

You're thinking income generating. Its (help me out folks) the largest revenue by sport but to your point has the largest expense by sport too.
#19 SMU #PonyUpDallas BTHO Temple
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Time to recognize

Postby gostangs » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:00 am

Bishrag wrote:Always Bizarre when people bash another sport for no reason. Also very bizarre people acting like our football team is revenue generating. Love the sport but If you think the crowd which is less than a high school game offsets the huge expense difference between the soccer team and the football team.....at least use donations the program brings as an example or something.


Attendance is irrelevant to your argument. TV revenue is not - and in this country there is no comparison. Our new 7M per team contract with the ACC is due to football - and that pays for everything else (not quite - but almost).

That said - I agree it is not either or. I enjoy most sports and my enjoyment of soccer does not diminish my enjoyment of football and vice-versa. Football is a lot more interesting however.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12055
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas USA

Re: Time to recognize

Postby PK » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:37 am

Mustangsabu wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Those who bash soccer have probably never been to a match to appreciate the athleticism of the players and just how physical a game it can be.


It's called track only with alot of flops. I mean there's a whole section of YouTube dedicated to flops which is entirely centered around the "sport" of soccer.


It’s called the biggest most popular game on the planet. I love me some football but as a sport it will never touch the purity of soccer. Soccer never sold out to tv and commercialism.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you not watched any of the Mexico teams play? They have beer commercials all over their uniforms. :lol:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
User avatar
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8645
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas 75206

Re: Time to recognize

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:46 pm

I can't stand soccer, never have, and it was only accentuated when I worked in Mexico and had to pretend like I did.

I'd rather have hot pokers put in my eyes. I guess I could say the same thing about SMU football too haha.
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8986
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Time to recognize

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Futbol will never make it big on American soil because the flow of the game can not be continually interrupted by marketing adverti$$ing.

A typical NFL game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but the actual time the ball is in play is just 11 minutes.

That’s a lot of opportunities for commercials.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5325
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Time to recognize

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:38 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Futbol will never make it big on American soil because the flow of the game can not be continually interrupted by marketing adverti$$ing.

A typical NFL game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but the actual time the ball is in play is just 11 minutes.

That’s a lot of opportunities for commercials.
I don't really like the NFL lol
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8986
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Time to recognize

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:28 pm

If it weren't for the diving, it would probably be pretty watchable. However, every 30 seconds some player is on the ground acting like there is a bullet wound in the leg. In hockey, they just look for a chance to pay back the guy. In baseball you spit on it and keep playing unless you literally can't walk or move your fingers. In football, unless you're Albert Hanesworth, you get up and get back into the play.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10897
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests