PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

College Cup

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

College Cup

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:26 am

Was it me or was the condition of the field pathetic? They couldn't even get the grass to grow enough to cover the football markings. Oh well...I have a question...can soccer be played on the artificial turf/grass that Bennett proposed installing in Ford Stadium?

Re: College Cup

Postby PonyGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:02 pm

Yeah, the field was embarrassing. I hope it didn't look that bad on ESPN, but I guess it would be hard to conceal.

Was it just me, or was that the football/basketball guy announcing the games? What happened to the soccer announcer? Did he quit? The guy who announced the College Cup sounded like he didn't know a whole lot about soccer.

Or was it the same guy? His voice sounded different. Maybe he had a cold.

[This message has been edited by PonyGirl (edited 12-16-2002).]
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby PX » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:39 pm

Soccer can be played on turf, but is discouraged. One of the reasons Wescott was tuend into a soccer venue was that the NCAA didnt want us to host playoff games on the old astroturf in Ownby Stadium. We'd never get the College Cup again with a turf field.

The soccer announcer didnt quit. Dont know why he didnt call the college cup games. he posts on this board pretty frequently, so maybe he can answer that himself.
PX
Varsity

Postby Austin » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:03 pm

Soccer (or football, for that matter) should not be played on turf. It causes (almost solely) many horrible injuries to knees, toes and ankles, and it makes the ball go too fast.

the field was not as bad as it looked on tv, though the numbers were atrocious.
Austin

Postby Vitale » Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:09 pm

The football-turned-soccer announcer sounded like former SMU announcer Bill Melton: big voice, but he obviously had no idea what he was looking at. Has he ever been to a soccer game before? This was a bad move.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Camel » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:04 pm

Too bad the original soccer guy didn't announce the games. How
embarrassing for SMU to have a soccer newbie announcing the games on
ESPN instead of someone who knows the game.
Camel
Recruit

Postby PonyTales » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:19 pm

The new announcer credited a Creighton player in the semifinal with a "blue card" - a nice color, perhaps, given the Bluejays' blue uniforms, but last time I checked, a blue card only exists in indoor soccer, and playing games in Ford Stadium does not make the game indoor soccer.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:53 pm

A blue card?
Are you kidding? Somehow I missed that call.
Did the announcer have any idea what he was watching?
Embarrassing.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:29 pm

You won't have to worry about the field looking bad again. By this time next year it will be artificial and the College Cup will be gone. Maybe Cowtown can host it at one of it's antique stadiums... Farrington or Amon Carter. Dallas is just not a soccer town (attendance 8,000) but it's not a football town, either. What is it?
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:53 am

We get the College Cup again in 2006. That's already done...so what's the deal with artifical turf? I seriously doubt Coach Bennett could give two ****s about soccer and the college cup. I doubt Copeland sees it like Bennett does, however lol Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangFan » Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:47 pm

SMU is hosting the College Cup in 2004, not 2006. That's the last year we've got it coming here, at least officially. And there's speculation that it won't be offered to SMU again.

And Dallas is much more of a soccer town than FW. We didn't draw what they would have drawn on the east coast, or if the final four was held at Stanford or St. Louis, but we did OK. Last year it was in Columbus, Ohio, and they only drew 5K.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:36 pm

ah that's right...2004. so are we going to replace the turf after '04?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Austin » Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:35 pm

This post has become confusing.

Could someone explain (Bergermeister?) why you want turf so bad? Compare Texas Stadium to Royal Memorial Stadium (where UT plays). Grass looks better, and creates less injuries. If you don't believe me, ask Deion Sanders' toe. Granted, it looked bad on TV during the College Cup, but SMU had too many games being played in Ford Stadium, and no one blames SMU for having awful weather.

Also, Dallas is considered a "soccer town" in national circles, including one of a handful that has a legitimate pro team, and hosting the most influential youth soccer tournament (Dallas Cup). Dallas youth clubs frequently have teams winning state titles and contending for national titles.
NCAA Division I, the MLS and the US National team have players that grew up playing in the Dallas club system.

What's more confusing is why you would not want to have the college cup at SMU. It provided great exposure for SMU and it wonderful stadium, and even provided something the football team cannot: an appearance for SMU's stadium on national television.

I actually overheard some high school kids from California (in town for a tournament) that were at the College Cup discussing SMU football. One asked if they had a team, and another said he was pretty sure that they had been given the death penalty again, that no team existed. Trust me, exposure cannot hurt.
Austin

Postby Horseradish » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Austin:
<B>This post has become confusing.

Could someone explain (Bergermeister?) why you want turf so bad? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really want to know, Austin? Last year Highland Park inquired about possibly playing one of their playoff games in Ford Stadium, but Ford wasnt available because the womens College Cup was going to be played there and the NCAA had the stadium reserved for the entire week prior to the Cup games. So, now a segment of our "Fans" want to make sure we dont host the Cup again. Thats what this is really about.

Incidentally, I talked to Copeland before Christmas and he said Turf was just something they were considering, it wasnt a done deal as some people here are claiming. Apparently its pretty expensive. I suppose Copeland could have been BSing me, but thats what he said, and I dont really see any reason why he wouldnt be honest about it.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:38 pm

Austin, I agree with you. I'd rather have the College Cup than the Highland Park football team's playoff game. National exposure for another sport ranks higher on my list. I couldn't believe that Copeland let the little pee-wee guys play on our field though...that's unnecessary wear if we were trying to prepare it for a major NCAA event. The field looked great last year for the Women's College Cup by the way.

I'm still a little undecided about turf...I've heard that the new stuff is much better than what Deion used to play on. Hell, we should get turf...red turf at that. Maybe we could get ourselves our own bowl in Ford Stadium then Image It worked for Boise St!

Also, I am a little fed up with this "segment" of fans that think Highland Park football is so goddamn important. Not everyone is so fortunate to live in HP. I want what's best for SMU Athletics, and I don't care if HPHS gets shafted.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 01-01-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Other Sports