PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Baseball

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mustang Baseball

Postby No Quarter » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:33 pm

Stallion,

Help me with the name "Kris Silverstone." What were his years at SMU?

Should that be Kris Silverthorn who I remember as a two year starter at CB for Hayden Fry, after redshirting as a soph? I think he was from Dallas TJHS.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:05 pm

From last season's pre-game analysis of the Tulsa v. SMU game in Dallas:

Cardwell now owns the school season record for punt return yards (467). That tops Kris Silverthorn's 443 set in 1972.

SMU alumni database shows Kris Silverthorn as still living in the Dallas area (Richardson), class of 1972. Positions on SMU football team: cornerback and punt returner.
------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-26-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:41 am

Mclubprez-

Does the university provide a practice field for the club baseball group?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mclubprez » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:42 pm

No, the university does not furnish a field for no other reason than there IS no field. Like all clubs, the team has a budget that can be used for field rental. However, since I am such a big baseball fan, I made a donation to Lutheran High School(just off of Cental and Forest) so that the SMU club can use their field for practices and home games. It's a nice high school field.
mclubprez

Postby Eddie P » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:31 pm

Mclubprez-

What the lineup for the next few home games for our club team. I hear our club team has this awesome pitcher or something like that...

Postby No Quarter » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:49 pm

mclubprez -

Thanks for the note about the practice field.

Is there a website where the schedule and game times and locations are posted, or could you have that done on this board?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby joey bag of donuts » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:34 pm

i am a baseball fan, and would love to have a team. just a thought, with our school colors, we could have some great uniforms. i also think it would improve our football team. it seems a lot of baseball players also make great football players, bo jackson, Deion Sanders, Chris Weinke, etc... if we need to add a woman's team, so be it. do we have a softball team? that should even out the cholarship issue.
joey bag of donuts
Recruit

Postby smudad » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:56 pm

Dr. Turner was most instrumental in funding and building Swazee (sp?) Field in Oxford. I think he's a big baseball fan. I believe if the proper amount of interest were shown in BB, a way would be found to add the sport - a huge 'if'. With luck, Title IX is going to be modified and made equitable. I don't want to see women's sports lose ground. But I hate it that good men's sports have suffered to further that cause. Not even the authors of Title IX intended that.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:29 pm

I don't think baseball has a real chance. No room for a field and the most urgent Athletic Department challenge is adding significant number of women student-athletes. Men's sport will be lucky to keep the teams and rosters they currently have.

Like it or not, women participation must be larger. Football's huge roster works against other Men's Teams being added. Second, a new women's team must have a large roster to catch up fast. Suggestions for a Women's Water Polo Team don't meet that criteria. Women's softball would also be problematic with no land on the campus for a field. As a matter of fact, there aren't enough intramual field. The net is Women's Equestrian is in the lead with Women's Lacrosse in second.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUstang » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:55 pm

Baseball would be nice. But it is not likely to happen. Yes it would help us if we had an NCAA baseball team to move to another conference (C-USA or Big XII). But both Title IX and the lack of space has us locked. Even with Dr. Turner's propensity for baseball, it's not in the cards. Our best bet is to get really strong in both football and basketball.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:36 pm

If some wealthy alum felt strongly enough about baseball to build a baseball/softball facility and fund scholarships for both sports (even disproportionately toward softball), you might have a chance at baseball. After all if you can land four great pitchers for baseball and get a coach who knows the game (perhaps a successful MLB pitcher), you could have a successful program with four scholies. For softball you could have 12-20 scholarships. Secondly, if it was a condition of membership to C-USA or a BCS conference it would be added in a heartbeat.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:23 pm

EastStang

Even if a "wealthy alum" wrote a check (stadium(s), scholarships, men's & women's equipment, etc.), there simply is no room for a field(s)on campus. As a matter of fact, intramurals fields are limited and too few to serve current student sports needs. We are landlocked. Look at my comments under "Copeland" thread. Selfishly, we need a 50 meter indoor pool to return Men's Swimming to a more competitive level, e.g. Top 10. The time is now with the addition of the new Recreation Facility, which incredibility is planning on a student lap pool, leaving the teams to compete in Perkins, a six lane, 25yd pool in the converted gymnasium. I love tradition (as an ex-swimmer, but that facility works against maintaining, much less improving on the performance of the Swim Teams.

In summary, SMU will never add softball or baseball. We need to invest in our current teams and add one more Women's Sport. My recommendation is a Varisty Equestrian Team with 40+ student athletes, thereby relieving pressure to improving on our Title IX performance. Off campus stables/facilities work well in this scenario. Sorry, but we don't have the campus or resources to return to baseball or add softball.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Water Pony » Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:33 pm

EastStang

Even if a "wealthy alum" wrote a check (stadium(s), scholarships, men's & women's equipment, etc.), there simply is no room for a field(s)on campus. As a matter of fact, intramurals fields are limited and too few to serve current student sports needs. We are landlocked. Look at my comments under "Copeland" thread. Selfishly, we need a 50 meter indoor pool to return Men's Swimming to a more competitive level, e.g. Top 10. The time is now with the addition of the new Recreation Facility, which incredibility is planning on a student lap pool, leaving the teams to compete in Perkins, a six lane, 25yd pool in the converted gymnasium. I love tradition (as an ex-swimmer, but that facility works against maintaining, much less improving on the performance of the Swim Teams.

In summary, SMU will never add softball or baseball. We need to invest in our current teams and add one more Women's Sport. My recommendation is a Varisty Equestrian Team with 40+ student athletes, thereby relieving pressure to improving on our Title IX performance. Off campus stables/facilities work well in this scenario. Sorry, but we don't have the campus or resources to return to baseball or add softball.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:55 am

I am not disagreeing with you. I am only saying that if it was a requirement for moving "up" then it would become a priority. You could also disproportionately add women's softball scholarships vs. baseball scholarships. As to space, you're right, of course, and some deal would have to be made somehow somewhere. Perhaps the Ballpark would be available? After all the Rangers only pretend to play baseball anyway.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Other Sports