PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Baseball

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mustang Baseball

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:25 pm

Am I the only person who hates the fact that SMU no longer has a baseball team? Yeah...I thought so. Image (Geez...how many of you even remember that SMU had a baseball team at one time? And how many of you remember where the baseball field was on The Hilltop?)

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Mustang Baseball

Postby BTPony » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:42 pm

Does the lack of a baseball program hurt our chances of leaving the WAC?
BTPony
Recruit

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:43 pm

It was where the track/soccer field is now I believe.

Yes I wish we had baseball, but that would just mean we would have to add a bunch more women's scholarships, so no, in reality I don't.
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:23 am

SMUPonyFan: Go to the head of the class. You are correct on the location of the former baseball field on The Hilltop.

But, geez...that's a rather sexist comment that you closed out with about women's scholarships, don't you think?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:25 am

Since when is sexism condemned on this board? Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mclubprez » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:51 pm

Actually, we do have a baseball team although it is at the club level. Mclubprez jr. is the president and player manager of the team. Shawn Heilbron, the SMU athletic marketing manager is the staff advisor/manager of the team. They play in the Gulf Coast North Conference of the National Club Baseball Association (NCBA). Pretty good baseball, by the way.

I know that it's not what you want to hear but we won't be seeing NCAA baseball at SMU any time soon unless one of you guys wants to endow it to the tune of about $10 million. To comply with Title IX, we need to add a couple of women's sports in the next couple of years. This is simply a fact of life in college sports these days. Why do you think that TCU dropped soccer?
mclubprez

Postby PX » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:59 pm

How did dropping soccer affect TCU's Title 9 status, when it was a non-scholarship program with almost no budget? If that was the reason to drop the sport, someone wasnt doign much deep thinking.
PX
Varsity

Postby PX » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:00 pm

How did dropping soccer affect TCU's Title 9 status, when it was a non-scholarship program with almost no budget? If that was the reason to drop the sport, someone wasnt doing much deep thinking.
PX
Varsity

Postby mclubprez » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:25 pm

Perhaps you're right. Title IX may not have been the primary reason. But all schools are looking at athletic budgets and a NCAA sport counts against the athletic budget while a club sport does not. Our situation dictates that we cannot support another mens program while we are trying to add some women's programs.
mclubprez

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:45 pm

And this is why Title IX is bull****.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:31 am

...alright Mustang65-I've been to my share of SMU Baseball games-wasn't the great Kris Silverstone a pretty good two sport athlete that excelled at both FB and BB. BTW we probably lost the No. 1 kicker in America this year because of the lack of a BB team-but I agree that BB doesn't appear to be in our future. Long Live Coach Bob Finley the hero of the classic SMU/TCU Big Shootout of 1935.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby No Quarter » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:50 pm

Re mclubprez' post about club level baseball:

Is there a league in which a club level SMU softball team could play?

And is there staff or faculty member who has or will offer to be the advisor?

Is planning under way or has an attempt been made to start a softball club?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SMU Blue » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:10 am

I wish we had a baseball team too. It is a shame that we don't. There is nothing better to do than watch a great baseball game on a warm spring Saturday.

I was actually in Fort Worth on Saturday, and was a little jealous of the brand new field they had. It looked like the students and community were really enjoying themselves.

We should get a rich alum to shell out the necessary dough to bring it back to the Hilltop.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:04 pm

First, Bob Finley was a great football player, but his record as SMU baseball coach spoke volumes. Nuf said, there.

Second, I agree that Title IX played some role, but not much. After all the baseball team had only 1 1/2 scholarships per year when I was there, and they usually went to someone who happened to play football as well. Given that our opponants gave scholarships to 4-6 players, we were at a real disadvantage talent wise, walk-ons vs. all district. Baseball became embarrassing and it was dropped. However, if you hired a dynamite coach and could give out a couple of scholarships per year (for pitchers), you might be able to be competitive with a peck and scratch offense.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:44 pm

Didn't PonyFan CSIRace play on the Mustang Baseball team? You out there in cyberland Don?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Other Sports