PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's swimming loses assistant coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's swimming loses assistant coach

Postby PonyPride » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:03 pm

From the SMU athletic department:

Jim Henry named head swimming and diving coach at University of Denver
Henry leaves Ponies after four years on Hilltop

SMU men's assistant swimming coach Jim Henry has been named the new men and women's swimming and diving coach at the University of Denver. He will start his new job following the 2003 NCAA Championships in late March.

Henry leaves the Hilltop after four years of service. During his time at SMU, Henry played a key part in SMU's continued success at the national level in men's swimming as the Mustangs won four straight conference titles including this last week's 2003 NIC Championships, giving the Mustangs seven straight conference titles.

"My time working with the student-athletes and Coach (Eddie) Sinnott at SMU is something I will always cherish," Henry said. "I have had a chance to work with one of the best programs in the nation, and I am looking forward to building the University of Denver into a nationally prominent program as well."

Henry succeeds long-time Denver swimming and diving coach Jim Bain, who is retiring after a successful 32-year career in Pioneer country. Henry also becomes just the second coach in Denver history to head both the men and women's swimming and diving programs.

A three-time NCAA national champion and four-year letterwinner at the University of Texas, Henry received a bachelor of science degree in speech in 1990 and was a team captain and All-American in the 400 IM his senior year. The Longhorns won the Southwest Conference Championship (SWC) each of Henry's four years and were NCAA champions in 1988, 1989 and 1990. A nine-time SWC finalist, Henry also earned the Bob Cone Spirit Award three times from 1988-1990.

The youngest of seven children, all swimmers, Henry was born Jan. 8, 1968 in St. Louis, Mo. His brothers John (Texas '81) and Pat (Texas A&M '83) also swam at the collegiate level. He is married to Heather Hoskins Henry, a former swimmer at Kansas. The couple has a son, Aidan, born July 16.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports