PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Equestrian is a GREAT idea for SMU!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Equestrian is a GREAT idea for SMU!

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:27 am

Glad to see someone is thinking - those who posted below about "Sucking $$$" are not looking at this in the proper perspective.

This is a way of circumventing Title IX. This could actually be a low cost sport - and the girls that are likely to get any kind of scholarship in this sport would have likely received some sort of academic sholarship anyway - not trying to be "elitest" but those who go to Hockaday and have horses, access to stables etc. usually do fit the profile of a strong applicant to smu and would likely already be receiving $$$. Why not give them the University Scholarship - call it an equestrian Scholarship and then have it offset a men's scholarship?

If only there were some NCAA sport that revolved around sorority rush. We would be title IX compliant in minutes.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Equestrian is a GREAT idea for SMU!

Postby Horseradish » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyTime:
<B> Why not give them the University Scholarship - call it an equestrian Scholarship and then have it offset a men's scholarship?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think the main reason not to do something like that is because its illegal. Federal prosecutors normally use the word "Fraud" to describe what you are suggesting. You really thought you could use the money from an established academic scholarship and transfer it to the athletic department? It doesnt work that way.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:09 pm

You obviously don't understand how it works.

SMU awards University Scholarships to students based upon academic merit.

Instead of giving someone a University Scholarship - you give them an equestrian scholarship. The University scholarship could be given to someone else.

There is no law against that.

I am not talking about transferring $$$ out of an academic fund and calling it an athletic scholarship.

Two seperate things.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Horseradish » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyTime:
<B>You obviously don't understand how it works.

SMU awards University Scholarships to students based upon academic merit.

Instead of giving someone a University Scholarship - you give them an equestrian scholarship. The University scholarship could be given to someone else.

There is no law against that.

I am not talking about transferring $$$ out of an academic fund and calling it an athletic scholarship.

Two seperate things.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case, you obviously need to go back and reread what you originally said. Read your original post where you said "give them a University Scholarship and call it an Equestrian Scholarship." Changing your mind now does not make that original statement any less wrong.
Horseradish
Recruit

Return to Other Sports