PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU 41st in 2003 NACDA Directors' Cup

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU 41st in 2003 NACDA Directors' Cup

Postby Webmaster » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:32 pm

SMU finishes 41st in 2003 NACDA Directors' Cup Division I final standings
SMU top WAC school for fourth straight year

CLEVELAND, Ohio - SMU finished the 2002-03 athletic season ranked 41st in the 2002-03 NACDA Directors' Cup Division I final standings, in an announcement made Thursday. The Mustangs compiled 461.5 points during the course of the year. For the fourth consecutive season, SMU topped all WAC schools. Boise State was the next highest-ranked WAC school with 281 points - good for 63rd place. SMU placed third among Texas schools and is ranked seventh among private schools.

Stanford University continued its record winning streak in the NACDA Directors' Cup competition for the NCAA Division I by winning its ninth consecutive award, presented annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) to the best overall collegiate athletics programs in the country.

The Cardinal won the NACDA Directors' Cup with a total of 1,420.5 points, surpassing the runner-up, the University of Texas by 326.5 points. Stanford won its ninth straight NACDA Directors' Cup with a national championship in men's cross country and 16 top 10 finishes, including nine teams that finished in the top five.

Developed as a joint effort between USA TODAY and NACDA, the NACDA Directors' Cup program is the only all-sports competition that recognizes the institution in each of the four categories with the best overall athletics program.

Through the NACDA Directors' Cup program, NACDA awards $40,000 in postgraduate academic scholarships. One $5,000 scholarship in each division is awarded to a student-athlete, while one $5,000 scholarship in each division is presented to a student-athlete from the institution that wins the NACDA Directors' Cup.

Of the 318 eligible colleges and universities in the NCAA Division I, a total of 268 (84 percent) scored points in the NACDA Directors' Cup competition.

NACDA, which is now in its 38th year, is the professional and educational association for more than 6,100 college athletics directors, associates, assistants and conference commissioners at more than 1,600 institutions throughout the United States, Mexico and Canada. Through its series of management seminars, clinics and workshops and publication of the bi-monthly magazine Athletics Administration, NACDA offers educational opportunities to its members. More than 1,200 athletics administrators annually attend the NACDA Convention.

Additionally, the Association operates the NACDA Directors' Cup program, which honors the all-sports champion in each of the NCAA Divisions -- I, II, III -- and the NAIA, for a total of four trophies.

For the complete final standings and release, go to: <A HREF="http://www.nacda.com" TARGET=_blank>www.nacda.com</A>

<A HREF="http://nacda.ocsn.com/directorscup/current/div1/final/div1-0203final.html>" TARGET=_blank>http://nacda.ocsn.com/directorscup/current/div1/final/div1-0203final.html></A>
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: SMU 41st in 2003 NACDA Directors' Cup

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:06 pm

I note that TCU finished at 63. UNT finished 260.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU 41st in 2003 NACDA Directors' Cup

Postby PK » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>I note that TCU finished at 63. UNT finished 260.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually TCU finished at 64 ...Boise was at 63. As for UNT, they did manage to come in ahead of Texas Southern.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports