PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU loses Cooper?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU loses Cooper?

Postby MustangFan » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:35 pm

Ditto
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Hello » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:14 pm

I have never met Kenny in my life, by the way. Comparing his situation to Lebron James' isn't really accurate. This is just speculation from my part, but... I am guessing that the 4 acadamy contracts that Kenny was offered two years ago came from 4 mid-table EPL clubs such as Blackburn, Birmingham City, etc. that don't have the financial clout of Man U (The most profitable sports club in the world). In fact his contract offers were probably quite small monetarily. Players aren't automatically given large first team contracts, which Lebron would was guaranteed by being drafted no. 1 overall. Kenny's contract probably would have had him living with a host family with him recieving just enough of a stipend to live on. Kenny certainly wouldn't cash in his eligibility for peanuts. Assuming that Kenny's ultimate goal was to be a professional; he may have decided to hedge against the possiblity of getting injured or not making the grade at one of the acadamies by accepting a full ride to SMU, and then trying his luck for professional soccer after graduation. He probably saw that his overall development as a player may suffer by going to college, but he was able to guard against not making it professionally by haveing a college education. However, Man U steps in and the stakes change dramatically. Guaranteed money with a guarantee for his education to paid for. Yeah, it is unfortunate for SMU, and Schellas should be upset (although he shouldn't vent his frustration publicly, imho), but the Man U contract was unforseen variable solved the equation for Kenny. Everything he need/wanted he got, and it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I personally can't blame the kid. You are telling me that if you were offered a job that you accepted, and then your absolute dream job came along, a once in a lifetime opportunity, that you wouldn't take it. If that is so, then you are a better man than I.
Hello

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:15 pm

Oh. You're just one of those annoying fans that prides himself on knowing too much.

.i.dontcare.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Other Sports