PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schellas goes for 400!!!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Schellas goes for 400!!!

Postby RC » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:16 pm

Schellas Hyndman goes for win #400 of his career
Friday night when the men's soccer team travels to Evansville.

Schellas is a great coach and is someone everyone at SMU and the state of Texas should be proud of.

Go Ponies!!!!
RC
Recruit

Re: Schellas goes for 400!!!

Postby PK » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:27 pm

We are damn lucky to have a coach this great hang in there with us as long as he has...we may have to raise a statue of him in the main quad before it is all said and done.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:00 am

That's actually a damn-fine idea. People who don't know soccer don't appreciate what this man has done. He recently got 300 wins during his SMU career.

Imagine you're a young coach starting out and you get a head coaching job at .... say .... 30. With that as a starting point, you'd need to average at least a good season -- 15 wins per -- EVERY YEAR until you're 50 years old.

No do the math and consider that Coach H was going for his 400th career win this afternoon. He's absolutely amazing.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:10 pm

This year is looking to be pretty disappointing. First time we've suffered back to back losses in MVC play.. :\\ What's happened?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Roach » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:20 pm

Apparently Evansville was one of those games where we were pounding shots at their net all game long and they came back with counterattacks. I hear TJ Tomasso didn't have his best game, either.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it just yet, UNF. The MVC is an amazing soccer conference, and dropping a couple of close ones on the road is disappointing, to be sure, but not devastating.

More importantly, what this means is that Coach Hyndman gets to pick up his 400th victory Friday night at 7:30 at home against Bradley. I don't know where Bradley is, either, but rest assured, they are a very tough team that will give the Ponies all we want. This is a chance to see real history in the making, and the Ponies need our support. I'll be there, and I hope everyone else comes out, too. A huge crowd would be sweet. Schellas is an unbelievable coach who's had a lot of offers to coach elsewhere, and he's chosen to stay at SMU. Come out Friday night and support him and his team. Should be a hell of a game.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:03 pm

I wouldn't miss it.

Go Ponies! Win this one for Coach!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:30 pm

I wish this game would have been on the radio. Thanks for putting the losses in perspective. However, it never seems like we can win the big games. We tied Stanford, but Stanford is dreadful this year compared to past teams as recently as last year and we've never lost road games down the stretch against the middle of the pack MVC teams.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:40 pm

We lost to Bradley. 3 in a row, and one at home. All conference games. Hmm.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Prof X » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:12 pm

Originally posted by FloridaMustang:
This year is looking to be pretty disappointing. First time we've suffered back to back losses in MVC play.. :\\ What's happened?
3 starters out with injuries and another sitting out after getting a red card. Thats what happened. And we couldnt put one in the net after pounding a dozen shots at them almost point blank. Sad state of affairs.
You are all sheep.
Prof X
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:00 am

That's true - the Ponies clearly were the better team last night. We have one of the best goalkeepers in the country in T.J. Tomasso, but Saturday was not his night. The first goal came on a rebound of a ball he seemed able to catch, and the game-winner came in OT when he inexplicably tried to dribble the ball out of the back - rather than simply clearing the ball and regrouping - and wheen Bradley's forwards applied pressure, he coughed it up for an easy open-net goal. I'm not pointing fingers, because (A) T.J. is a fantastic goalie, and (B) anyone who says we haven't all had bad days is lying. So he had a bad game. He'll learn from it and be a tougher person for it.

Besides, it was all a plot - we lost intentionally. Because of the loss, SMU has a chance to get Coach Hyndman his 400th victory Sunday against Eastern Illinois (kickoff at 1 p.m.) It's like a bad Hollywood script - he played at EIU, and began his coaching career there. Now he gets a chance to earn his 400th win against EIU. And last night at the game, they said there's going to be a special pregame ceremony honoring Coach Hyndman for earning his 300th SMU win a couple weeks ago, so be there early!

Fearless prediction: Tomasso and the Ponies will pitch a shutout Sunday afternoon!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Corso » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:37 am

You were right, PonyTales - SMU blanked Eastern Illinois, 1-0. T.J. had several good saves, and seemed confident out there.

Congratulations to Coach Hyndman on win #400!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:41 am

OK, it's an acceptable record for a young team in its first year without talented senior leadership (ie Luchi and Diego) that is having to deal with some serious inuries. Let's just keep the talent coming to the Hilltop. I hope Schellas stays around for a national championship ;)
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby WildHorse » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:27 am

I think Kevin Hudson is a better senior than he gets credit for, because his role doesn't draw a lot of headlines. He's a defensive midfielder, so he's usually helping to bring the ball out of the back and adding a physical presence in the defensive end (to go along with Ross Spencer and Ugo Ihemelu.) Lately they've played him up front a little, and he's brought more of a size presence there, too - he headed a corner kick off the crossbar yesterday - and if he continues to get time on the front line, he'll get some goals .... and more accolades.

And rest assured, Coach Hyndman will have some amazing players coming in next year. He's established himself as perhaps the best recruited in the nation. We've stumbled a bit in the last two weeks, but we're loading up for another run!
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:27 am

I think Kevin Hudson is a better senior than he gets credit for, because his role doesn't draw a lot of headlines. He's a defensive midfielder, so he's usually helping to bring the ball out of the back and adding a physical presence in the defensive end (to go along with Ross Spencer and Ugo Ihemelu.) Lately they've played him up front a little, and he's brought more of a size presence there, too - he headed a corner kick off the crossbar yesterday - and if he continues to get time on the front line, he'll get some goals .... and more accolades.

And rest assured, Coach Hyndman will have some amazing players coming in next year. He's established himself as perhaps the best recruiter in the nation. We've stumbled a bit in the last two weeks, but we're loading up for another run!

<small>[ 10-13-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: WildHorse ]</small>
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:26 am

I hope you're correct. Hopefully Cossaboon turns out to be a better recruiter than even Van Linder. I want some U-19 players. Why can't we compete with Texas (who we've beaten twice in the NCAA tourney), A&M, and even schools like UNC. Olivia O'Rear was in the U-19 pool, but I think we can do even better. So far, Cossaboon has proven himself and exceeded every expectations. Hopefully all the ladies stay healthy and make a run for the Sweet 16 this year :)
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Other Sports