PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men’s Swimming And Diving Adds Duo To 2020-21 Signing Class

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

DALLAS (SMU) – Head coach Greg Rhodenbaugh has announced the addition of two student-athletes to join the previously announced 2020-21 men's swimming and diving signing class. Lance Butler and Brandon Garcia will join the Mustangs this fall along with Jack Callan, John Culver, Tyler Mansheim, Evan McCormick and Cole Parnell.

Lance Butler | Austin, Texas | Anderson | Sprint Freestyle

Butler lettered four years under Juli Zamora, Kevin Bell and Patty Young at Anderson High School where he earned All-America honors, was an eight-time State finalist and won Regional Championships in the 50 and 100 free. He was also named Team MVP.

Under the direction of Ryan Ciccareli at Capital of Texas Aquatics (COTA), Butler was a team captain and produced multiple Junior National time cuts.

Butler was a member of the National Honor Society and also lettered in water polo and was selected all-region.

Personal: Son of Jack and Marilyn Butler… Has one sister, Katie… Has a pair of cousins who graduated from SMU… Anticipated major is sports management.

"I chose SMU for the coaches, facilities and academics."

Brandon Garcia | San Antonio, Texas | Phillips Andover Academy (Postgraduate Year)/Ronald Reagan High School | Sprint Freestyle

Garcia competed under David Fox at Phillips Andover Academy for a postgraduate season following four seasons at Ronald Reagan High School in San Antonio, Texas. In his lone season at Andover, Garcia helped his team to the NEPSAC Men's and Combined Championships. He also won the 50 free and was part of championship 200 medley and 200 free relays at the event.

Andover also won the 2020 Eastern Interscholastic Swimming & Diving Men's and Combined Championships, also taking home the 200 free relay title.

While at Reagan, Garcia was a four-time UIL 6A State qualifier and won regional championships in the 100 free and 100 back in 2017. Overall, Garcia was a three-time NEISD District Championship qualifier. In 2018, he was named the Men's Top Athlete at the Alamo Area High School Swim League Pentathlon.

Garcia also competed for AAAA and was a three-time USA Swimming Futures and Sectionals Championship qualifier, a two-time USA Swimming Winter Junior National Championships qualifier and a three-time TISCA South Zone Championship qualifier. He was twice honored as an All-American by the National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association (2015, 2017).

In the classroom, Garcia received National Hispanic Merit recognition.

Personal: Son of David and Gina Garcia… Has one brother, Andrew… Father was a student-athlete at Air Force and brother currently competes at Wesleyan University… Anticipated major is finance.

"I chose SMU because it fit everything I was looking for in a school. SMU has so many great opportunities that will make the next four years of my life meaningful, and the school will help prepare me for the rest of my life."

PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED SIGNEES:

Jack Callan | Owasso, Okla. | Bishop Kelley | Middle Distance/Distance Freestyle

Callan lettered four years under Ellen Glasgow at Bishop Kelley High School where he helped his team to a 2019 5A State and Regional Championship. In 2019, Callan was named the Tulsa World Swimmer of the Year and in 2017 and 2018 he was a Finalist for the Award. In all, Callan is a 12-time individual and relay 5A State Champion.

Under the direction of Sean Callan at Trident Aquatics Club, he earned Scholastic All-America Honors and was a 2019 Oklahoma Swimming Swimmer of the Year Finalist.

Callan is also a Winter Junior National Qualifier, as well as a one-time Sectionals silver medalist, four-time Sectionals bronze medalist and three-time futures medalist.

In the classroom, Callan is a member of the National Honor Society and was a member of the "A Honor Roll" in 2019 and the "A-B Honor Roll" in 2017 and 2018.

Personal: Son of Sean and Whitney Callan… Has one sister, Allie, and one brother, Patrick, who swims at the University of Michigan. Anticipated major is business.

"I chose SMU because it is the perfect fit for me as a person and athlete. I loved the positive energy that the team and coaching staff put out, as well as tremendous academic programs that SMU offers. I know that with top-notch coaches and teammates, I will be able to achieve my dreams and help make the team better while doing so. I can't wait to be a part of the family!"

John Culver | West Des Moines, Iowa | Dowling Catholic | Backstroke/IM

Culver lettered four seasons under Nicolas Spike at Dowling Catholic High School and was a 2019 Iowa High School State Champion and five-time individual finalist during his career. He was also part of an Iowa record-setting and All-American automatic time 200 medley relay. He also qualified for Junior Nationals.

Following the 2019 season, Culver was named a USA Swimming Scholastic All-American and to the Iowa High School All-State Team. Culver captained his team during the 19-20 season and holds the 200 IM record and is part of the 200 medley relay record.

Out of the pool, Culver is a member of the National Honor Society, a member of the Presidential Honor Roll and is a USA Swimming Scholastic All-American.

Under the direction of Ethan Johnston at Dowling Catholic Riptide, Culver is a seven-time Iowa State Champion, Futures and Junior Nationals qualifier and holds multiple club age group records.

Personal: Son of Chet and Mari Culver… Has one sister, Clare… Grandfather, John Culver, is in the Harvard Football Hall of Fame (1954); Grandmother, Ann Cooper Culver was U.S. Diving National Champion (1955); Grandfather, William Thinnes, competed in track and field at Loras College (1952); father played football at Virginia Tech (1988); sister is an All-American swimmer at Fordham (2023); uncle, Matt Scoggin, was captain of the Olympic diving team (1992)… Anticipated major is business.

"I chose SMU because of the vast opportunities available as a student, both academically and athletically. SMU's facilities and coaching are among the best in the nation, and I can't wait to be a Mustang!"

Tyler Mansheim | Clovis, Calif. | Buchanan | Freestyle/Butterfly

Mansheim lettered four years under Dave Pickford at Buchanan High School and was a three-time All-American in 2019, picking up individual honors in the 200 free and relay honors as part of the 200 free and 400 free relays. He also helped the team to a League Championship that year.

He was named the team's MVP as a sophomore and junior and earned All-Academic honors each season. Mansheim is also a three-time member of the High Honor Roll and two-time Principal's Honor Roll recipient.

Mansheim earned USA Swimming Scholar All-America honors in 2018 and 2019 under John McGough at Clovis Swim Club and competed at 2019 Summer Junior Nationals. He also placed seventh as part of a 4x200 relay squad at the 2019 USA Summer Nationals.

Also a three-year letterman on his school's water polo team, Mansheim helped the squad to a Northern California Regional Championship in 2019 following three undefeated league and sectional championships. For his efforts, he was named to the All-CIF Section second team.

Personal: Son of Mike and Rachelle Mansheim… Has two brothers, Conner and Timmy… Anticipated major is civil engineering.

"I chose SMU because of the excellent academic environment and reputation. There is also a great team atmosphere as well as great coaches, amazing swim program and resources. It's also a beautiful campus."

Evan McCormick | El Dorado Hills, Calif. | Oak Ridge | Breaststroke/IM

McCormick lettered four years under Tim McCormick at Oak Ridge High School and earned three individual All-America honors, while picking up six nods as part of relays. As a team, Oak Ridge won one State title, posted two runner-up performances and earned two section championships during his career.

In the classroom, McCormick is a member of the Honor Roll.

As a part of the Sierra Marlins Swim Team under Rob Collins, McCormick earned a third placed finish at 2019 Summer Junior Nationals.

Personal: Son of Tim and Renee McCormick… Has one sister, Kylie… Father swam collegiately at Bakersfield State (1986-87) and Chico State (1991)… Anticipated major is business or mechanical engineering.

"I chose SMU because it has a balance of top academics and a rich athletic tradition."

Cole Parnell | Longwood, Fla. | Lake Brantley| Freestyle

Parnell lettered four years under Clay Parnell at Lake Brantley High School. He was the 2019 4A State Champion in the 200 free, and was part of the champion 400 free relay. In 2018, he placed second in both the 50 and 100 free, before going on to earn All-America honors in both events. Parnell helped the 2017 squad to a State second place finish.

A member of the Honor Roll, Parnell also lettered in track and field, helping his team to a fifth place finish at the 4A State meet.

Parnell also swam for Patriot Aquatics and was a Senior State Champion, while also competing in the C Final of the 50 free at Junior Nationals.

Personal: Son of Clay and Kristen Parnell… Has three brothers, Jackson, Gabe and Will… Father swam at Auburn (1975-77) and mother swam at Rice (1993)... Anticipated major is engineering.

"I chose SMU because of the academic opportunities, great coaching staff and rising team."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Men’s Swimming And Diving Adds Duo To 2020-21 Signing Cl

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully they will continue the Mu Sigma Delta (Mustang Swimmers & Divers) tradition and help the team achieve even greater results during their four years on the Hilltop. I fully expect them to drop their times in the highly competitive environment Greg is creating in our new facility.

Pony Up!
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports