PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No respect!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

No respect!

Postby PonyGirl » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:04 am

Why is the women's soccer team not ranked? They whipped North Texas 4-2 tonight and now their record is 14-2. And no ranking? That's ridiculous! I'm not saying they'll be national champs or anything, but come on - you can't tell me there's 25 better teams in the country.

I almost hope they roll through the rest of the season without a loss and then win the WAC tournament title and still don't get ranked - so they can enter the NCAA tournament with a big-time chip on their shoulders. If this team plays angry, I think they could do some real damage in the NCAAs.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Re: No respect!

Postby Vitale » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:22 am

I don't get that either. Maybe it's because of the low expectations heading in to the season. They hung tight with A&M (top 5) and lost in OT to Oklahoma, which has a pretty solid team. They've rolled everyone else. There's no way this team should be unranked. Coach Coss has a headstart on the "SMU Coach of the Year" award (if there is such a thing.)
Vitale
All-American

Postby AdriaFan3 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:30 pm

it's simply because they had such an easy schedule. if they played ranked teams like A&M all the time, they would defintely be ranked!
~Go Adria & the Lady Mustangs Soccer~
AdriaFan3

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:06 pm

I've seen a couple of games and I am really impressed. How are we able to maintain our competitiveness on a consistent basis? Do we give full scholarships or more aid as opposed to other schools. Do other WAC schools/TCU/UNT give scholarships? Curious, because I saw the ATM game and I thought we were every bit as good as the Ags.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:37 am

We are as good as the Aggies - the only difference is they have more overall team speed. That coach has always recruited sprinters, but thanks to his recent success, he now is able to recruit sprinters who can play. But SMU has added some fast kids, too. I think you'll see more players like Olivia O'Rear - she can really haul.

Yes, SMU gives scholarships, as do other WAC teams and UNT. We recruit well because the coaches who have been here (well, most of them) have good connections in the club soccer community, which is where you get most of the talented players - and of course, SMU also has the best tradition of long-term success of any womeen's soccer team in the state. Coach Cossaboon will recruit better than any of his predecessors (Van Linder, Ryan or Kirkup). Bank on it.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Return to Other Sports