PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's golf adds assistant coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's golf adds assistant coach

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Wilkins Named Assistant Men's Golf Coach

DALLAS (SMU) – Head Coach Chris Parra has announced the addition of Brandon Wilkins as assistant men's golf coach. Wilkins comes to the Hilltop after two seasons as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at the University of Denver.

"Coach Wilkins has been a friend for a couple years," Parra said. "He has a great disposition that our team and recruits will love. I'm so happy he chose to be a part of our SMU family."

"I am truly honored and blessed that Coach Parra is entrusting me with this position," Wilkins said. "His vision and passion for SMU Golf is unparalleled. I'm very excited to get to work and help our student-athletes on and off the course.

"I want to thank Erik Billinger, Lindsay Kuhle, the players on the team and the University of Denver for a fantastic last couple years. I have learned so much and made friendships for a lifetime. I will forever be indebted. We will miss Denver, but Lexi and I are looking forward to this new chapter in Dallas."

In his first season at Denver, Wilkins helped lead the Pioneers to the 2019 Summit League Championship, earning the team's first NCAA Regional berth since 2014. He helped mentor Cal McCoy to two individual tournament titles, including medalist honors at the Summit League Championship, and an improvement in the World Amateur Golf Rankings from 3600 to 524. McCoy went on to earn Summit League Player of the Year honors. Two additional golfers earned tournament championships during his first season, picking up wins at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate and the UNC Greeley Invitational.

During the shortened 2019-20 season, Denver registered three top-five finishes, including a win at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate, and three individuals took home titles. The team also set a single-season program record with a 287.0 scoring average.

Wilkins arrived at Denver after two seasons at his alma mater, Abilene Christian, where he served as the assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.

While at ACU, Wilkins assisted in the successful transition from NCAA Division II to Division I, helping coach the Wildcats to their first Division I team event title. He also helped mentor a pair of all-conference selections, as well as two academic All-Americans. During the 2017-18 season, the team made a significant improvement in the Golfstat rankings, jumping from 227 to 163.

Wilkins has extensive caddy experience on the Web.com tour, APT, and different mini-tours, as well as at the U.S., Canadian and Latin America Amateur Championships.

Wilkins earned a bachelor of business administration in management from ACU in 2016 and an associate's degree from McLennan Community College in 2014. He was a two-year letterwinner under GCAA Hall of Fame Head Coach Vince Clark at McLennan, before playing his final two seasons at ACU. He earned Southland Conference Commissioner Honor Roll accolades as a junior and senior. His career-best finish came at the UTRGV Bronc Invitational where he finished tied for 12th.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports