PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We have to play aTm AGAIN???

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We have to play aTm AGAIN???

Postby MustangSally » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:47 am

Jeez, whoever comes up with the NCAA tournament seedings sure loves that TAMU-SMU matchup. Did we play them first last year or was it UT. I know we played aTm in the tourney at some point. I hope our girls can finally be successful this attempt. It really bothered me that last year's tournament came down to the stupid OT shootout rule. Why not just extend play until someone scores? Shooting is just one single aspect of the game. Teams that don't shoot extremely well may have the best team play ever, but you wouldn't know it if the game went into OT. Or what if a team's weakness is their goalie? They can adjust in regular games by stepping up the defensive pressure, etc. But this stupid shootout rule just takes the entire game of soccer and boils it down to a 1 on 1 single shot on goal. Baseball goes into extra innings, can you imagine if instead they just decided to have a homerun derby to decide the win? Maybe I am dreaming all this, and these aren't the rules at all. Late...tired...someone help me...
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Re: We have to play aTm AGAIN???

Postby PK » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:33 am

My understanding is that they have one OT period (not sure how many minutes) and if it is still tied after that, they then go to the shoot out with each team getting the same number of attempts.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooPower » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:48 am

In the past two years I believe they beat UT and lost to TAMU in the second round.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:01 pm

Originally posted by PK:
My understanding is that they have one OT period (not sure how many minutes) and if it is still tied after that, they then go to the shoot out with each team getting the same number of attempts.
Actually, they play up to two 10-minute "sudden victory" OT periods. If either team scores .... game over. If not, they then go to the shootout.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:24 pm

Originally posted by Smoo Power:
In the past two years I believe they beat UT and lost to TAMU in the second round.
Right. Both wins over UT have been impressive, both defeats to A&M have been heartbreakers.

Personally, I'm tired of facing the Aggies. They're not a great team, although they're as fast and athletic as any team in the nation. The Ponies certainly have their work cut out for them. (And there will only be about 2 million Aggies out there at the game.)

Then again, the matchup is understandable - the NCAA tries to do these things regionally, whenever possible. I'm just surprised they're shipping UT all the way out to Florida.

Go PONIES! Beat the hell out of A&M!
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby PK » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:44 pm

Originally posted by PonyPride:
Originally posted by PK:
[b] My understanding is that they have one OT period (not sure how many minutes) and if it is still tied after that, they then go to the shoot out with each team getting the same number of attempts.
Actually, they play up to two 10-minute "sudden victory" OT periods. If either team scores .... game over. If not, they then go to the shootout. [/b]
Well hell...I was close. Don't I get any points? :unsure:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:19 pm

aTm is a much weaker team than they were last year. SMU is playing its best soccer right now and has a VERY good shot at beating aTm FINALLY. Hopefully Harvey, O'Rear, Campbell, and the rest of the girls can get it done! :)

Go Stangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:45 pm

The Ponies WILL get it done!
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:29 pm

I'd like nothing better than to hear their coach whine about why his team got robbed by the refs or how SMU played dirty or how the sun rose on the wrong side of the planet to explain a loss to SMU. He certainly wouldn't mention the fact that his coaching ability pales in comparison to the level of talent on his team.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby AdriaFan3 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:31 pm

i really hope they win!! but even if they dont, i'll have something to look forward to!! Adria, Erin, Amanda, Morgan, and Nicole...and maybe others coming to my game!
~Go Adria & the Lady Mustangs Soccer~
AdriaFan3

Postby MustangFan » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:16 am

That's all good and well, but first things first: we need to beat the Aggies. And while we'd all like to snap our fingers and make it happen, it won't happen easily. They have one player in particular - forward Emma Smith - who is nothing short of sensational, and many others who are pretty darn good. Our defenders are talented but young, and have their work cut out for them.

Good luck, Ponies!
MustangFan
All-American

Return to Other Sports