PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WATCH THE WOMEN'S SOCCER GAME!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WATCH THE WOMEN'S SOCCER GAME!

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:52 pm

http://www.aggieathletics.com

FREE streaming video/audio! It's great!

Lady Stangs are up 1-0 on a Harvey free kick!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re: WATCH THE WOMEN'S SOCCER GAME!

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:27 pm

Mustangs gave up a goal with 31 seconds left. Tied 1-1 at halftime :\\
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:30 pm

It's going to OT tied 1-1.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby AdriaFan3 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:59 pm

is the game going to PKs?
~Go Adria & the Lady Mustangs Soccer~
AdriaFan3

Postby AdriaFan3 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:05 pm

ok, apparently so
~Go Adria & the Lady Mustangs Soccer~
AdriaFan3

Postby MustangSally » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:59 am

MOTHER F*#(ER!!! HOW DID I KNOW IT WOULD COME DOWN TO STUPID PENALTY KICKS AGAIN!!! Aggies won in the [deleted] penalty kick part of the game. They really have it out for us. Great season ladies, check off another conference championship. Good luck to the men's team as they face Bradley in the MVC Championship on Sunday!
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:24 am

I didn't hear/see the game, but I just read the press release on SMUmustangs.com. One thing bothered me in the release from the university: "The Mustangs close out their glorious season with a record...." Yes, they ad a good season, but certainly not glorious. 0-3 against ranked teams. Next year will be better.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:14 pm

Kim played terrible, but she did her job on set pieces. She scored our only goal on a free kick and scored our only PK. I swear to god, Amanda Clark couldn't stop a single ball. She wasn't even close.

:\\ And she's good!

I was really impressed with the speed of O'Rear and Campbell, but they need some serious polish. Campbell looked too fatigued way too early as well.

Any word on Ashley Jordan?

<small>[ 11-15-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: FloridaMustang ]</small>
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby smuplayer » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:29 pm

FloridaMustang, Just to let you know it is Amanda Jordan and she hurt her knee but it looks like she is going to be ok or at least we hope so.
smuplayer

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:30 pm

Crap, I thought I'd edited that ;) Thanks!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby erin » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:18 pm

Originally posted by FloridaMustang:
Kim played terrible, but she did her job on set pieces. She scored our only goal on a free kick and scored our only PK. I swear to god, Amanda Clark couldn't stop a single ball. She wasn't even close.

:\\ And she's good!

I was really impressed with the speed of O'Rear and Campbell, but they need some serious polish. Campbell looked too fatigued way too early as well.

Any word on Ashley Jordan?
FloridaMustang...you weren't even at the game. I see you were on the streaming video but I heard that it wasn't great.

Amanda might have not stopped a single ball, but they were all well struck. I would like to see you get in there and do her job. Actually, FYI she got her hand on two of the balls. She might not have stopped any, but the team would not even have been in the game if it wasn't for her incredible showing in regulation and overtime.

Since you saw the game why couldn't you tell that Olivia was playing scared? Everyone could use polishing, but she was flat out scared in the first half. Heinemann was sucking wind, not Campbell! And for Kim playing terrible, she didn't touch the ball all that much. The Mustangs were on the defense most of the time, they were dodging bullets while being outshot 33-11.

But then again I guess you can judge the players becuase you were watching it on streaming video and not live with 2,200 Aggies
erin

Postby Lefty » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:24 pm

Sorry, Florida, got to side with FutureStang here.

For those who aren't soccer afficionados, goalies often don't stop PKs - the system ALWAYS favors the shooter. They're usually converted 85-90 percent of the time if a team has good shooters (and A&M does). So the fact that Amanda Clark didn't save any doesn't mean she didn't play well. If a good shooter hits the ball well, the GK should have virtually no shot at it. If you were at the game, you'd know she made a number of difficult saves during the game, and nearly got to a couple of the PKs.

And the suggestion that Kim Harvey played terrible is nothing short of insane. A&M (like every other opponent SMU's faced this year) knows Kim is an all-America-caliber player, and therefore designs its defensive packages around her, thinking the best way to beat SMU is to take their chances with the other players. You should have seen the assaults Kim put up with when SMU came down here to play Houston earlier this year. I'm not saying A&M played as dirty as UH - they didn't. But the Aggies threw everyone except Marmaduke the A&M Mascot at her. She NEVER had room to run, and if/when she did get the ball, she was swarmed. And she was fighting through it and still playing effectively, drawing defenders away from other players and causing headaches for the A&M defense.

And FutureStang makes another valid point about the noise - you wouldn't believe how loud they were. (Didn't realize the attendance was "only" 2,200. Seemed like more.) We've all seen those dorky cheers Aggies do at football games - well, they do a lot of them (and it looked like a few new ones) at soccer games, too.

SMU went toe-to-toe with the (alleged) best team in the region and played to a tie (A&M advanced on PKs, but the game goes down as a tie). I was one of the few Mustangs in attendance, and I couldn't be prouder of the team. They represented our school with class, and for much of the game, SMU was the better team.

The players who are coming in next year, I gather, are supposed to be sensational. But I really enjoyed watching this year's seniors against Houston and A&M, and when I made it up to Dallas for a couple of weekends. Good luck to all the seniors, whatever you do, and to next year's team: let's see you rack up some wins in the NCAAs!
Lefty
All-American

Postby ladyluck03 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:58 pm

I must agree with Lefty and FutureStang. I was also at the game and was very proud to be a SMU fan. The girls played their hearts out and the defense was phenominal, considering they only allowed one goal in 110 minutes of play aginst a very fast A&M offense. Alyssa Pembroke and Ashley Watson are two awesome freshmen defenders and I expect to see a lot out of them their remaining three years. The other two defenders, shopomores Kati Shelton and Melissa Nixon also played brilliantly. And as for Clark, she has kept the Mustangs in numerous games this season, and the A&M game was no different. An awesome keeper!
Lauren Mussallem played the best game i've seen her play all season. she was all over the place. she played extraordinary defense and was making runs on offense as well. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed with Olivia O'Rear's performance. She was practically invisible the first half and didn't make as much of an impact as i had hoped she would. She made a couple of nice runs in the second half, but it seemed she was always a step behind. Much credit to Kim Harvey, however, for being able to fight off those A&M defenders and make some beautiful runs. We all know she deserves the WAC player of the year award! Congrats on an awesome final season, Kim!!! :showoff:
go mustangs soccer!
ladyluck03

Postby PonyFan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:24 am

Originally posted by ladyluck03:
.... Much credit to Kim Harvey .... We all know she deserves the WAC player of the year award! Congrats on an awesome final season, Kim!!! :showoff:
We all know she's the best player in the WAC, and if she's not an All-America this season, that title should be abolished. She was incredible from the season opener until the final game of the year. Kudos to you, Kim Harvey.

But let's not forget that it's a team game, and without the performance of all her teammates, Kim wouldn't have had the success she had this season. ALL of the Mustangs exceeded expectations this year. With a new coach and a lot of young players on the field, I think a lot of people (or at least a lot of those I talked to at games) would have foregiven a so-so year. Coach Cossaboon and Coach Brown (asst.) did a great job pulling this team together this year and rolling through the WAC.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby ladyluck03 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:44 pm

I really enjoyed watching the mustangs play this year, but i'm sure gonna miss watching this year's seniors next year.

who do you all think will take their places next year? the four seniors are: kim harvey, lauren mussallem, ashley vanmeter and rachel slocum(goalie).

i think adria and olivia will make an awesome combination next year, and now that kim is out :hmm: , adria will come out of her shell a little bit more. she'll have a lot more opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net. don't get me wrong, kim is an awesome player that has enormous shoes to fill, but i think adria can get the job done.

as for lauren mussallem, i hope smu has some new recruits coming in because i'm not sure who will be able to play that outside mid running position...

ashley vanmeter was a player that has been injured a lot during her career and although she is an awesome player, smu has had a lot of experience playing without her. shouldn't be too much of a change. same with rachel slocum. amanda clark looks extremely comfortable in the goal, and i don't think the stangs will have any trouble with the keeper position at any point during next year's season.

what do the rest of you think? :hmm:
go mustangs soccer!
ladyluck03

Next

Return to Other Sports