PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Missed Opportunity

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Missed Opportunity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:47 am

The school is going forward with the new recreation center (kudos), which will include an indoor pool (six lane, 25 yards long) for the students to support intramuals, club sports, recreation, etc. The costs will be covered by an increase in student fees.

Unfortunately, there will not be a "pooling" of interests to combine this desireable addition with the opportunity that this might be the only realisitic chance to build one pool (long course, 25 yards wide) to support men's and women's swimming & diving teams while comfortably including the objectives for the students.

The current decision is to focus only on the immediate commitment to the students and this will likely mean that no competitive aquatic center will be build in the near or mid-term future. Unfortunately, the result will weaken these national programs in their training, competitions and recruiting. A second facility in not likely any time soon because of the cost of another new stand-alone center and limited space on campus.

I encourage interested parties to promote the combining of interests to save costs long term and substantially improve student facilities while retaining and investing in our rich swimming and diving traditions. :hmm:

<small>[ 11-25-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Water Pony ]</small>
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Missed Opportunity

Postby SMUFan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:28 pm

If there's no new aquatic center planned in the near future, is there at least a plan to give Perkins Natatorium some kind of a facelift? The fact that Coach Sinnott (men) and Coach Collins (women) and Coach Stillson (diving) have been able to recruit such exceptional athletes to that antiquated facility is a tribute to them and to the strength of their personalities and the reputation of SMU swimming. Hopefully, that recruiting will continue.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:46 am

One scenario kicked around is to extend the current pool to the east and into the Band area. You would need to widen the pool at the same time.

Not easy or necessarily cheap to an out-dated facility. We will need to relocate the Band, which deserves and needs new facilities as well.

Lastly, the current location may be desired for other things, like a new dorm.

Recruiting has been good for the women and average for the men, relying increasing on foreign students. Our facilities do limit us in this key area, recruiting. If we want to be a serious contender for Sears Cup, we need to continue to support this sport as well as Soceer, Track & Field, Tennis, Golf, etc. The women are a real strength for us.

<small>[ 12-01-2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Water Pony ]</small>
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:58 am

Water Pony and SMUFan...

I have admired the SMU men's/women's swimming/diving teams for decades. They consistently represent the best blend of high academic achievement and athletic success on campus. Their coaches accomplish more with less than other athletic department employees.

Previously, I had hoped that Dallas' attempt to capture the 2012 Olympics would result in a world-class aquatics facility on the SMU campus.

However, I am not surprised that the new recreation facility won't include a NCAA/Olympic competition quality pool. As noted, the SMU students are paying for the recreation center through increased fees. There are many fingers in the pie concerning what sports/activities the building will support.

In any case, I believe that if donors came forward SMU would want to build a stand-alone intercollegiate pool/diving well. I also would guess that SMU would locate the facility further east, away from the current Perkins/Barr location.

Land on Bishop Blvd. is highly visible and would be a good location for a modern performing arts center/auditorium or housing, etc.

Your thoughts?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:35 am

Cheesesteak:

The location on Bishop is a prime location and could be better utlized for a much needed dorm or performing arts center with an added objective to serve our Band, who deserves much more than what they have today.

That said, my major concern is that the new student pool. Yes, the students are defraying the cost with their fees but it is realisitc that the school can find additional land and money for a new, stand-alone facility for the swim & diving teams. My point was to combine the objectives, using the student fees as the down stroke for a more comprehensive, competitive aquatic center, which would give the student what they want and more. Properly designed (25yds wide) permits Men's, Women's, intramuals and recreational swimmers to use the pool simultaneously, including a diving well.

When the ground is broken to build the new recreation center and pool, any realistic hope for a new competitive facility is gone. It would require greater fund raising and land, which is already in short supply. As a matter of fact, the students don't have enough intramual fields as it is.

It is discouraging to concede that the teams will remain in Perkins for the foreseeable future.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:19 am

Water Pony:

Thank you for your insights.

SMU realizes that it must provide more accessibility to athletics to the general university population (students, faculty and staff)...a factor in competing for students and employees.

Although the new recreation center and pool are positives, as you mentioned SMU is woefully short of intramural fields.

Several non-revenue intercollegiate teams need facility upgrades (swimming, track and field, tennis, etc.) but money and space are challenges.

I am only guessing but something tells me that SMU will make more land available in the future for intercollegiate/intramural athletics. SMU is acquiring the former Mrs. Baird's Bakery property. Also, SMU is the majority owner of a few blocks of apartments/condos near the southeast corner of campus.

SMU might be a legitimate contender for a future presidential library that would also consume land.

However, I can also envision SMU demolishing some of the apartments/condos (after leases expire) in order to make land available for needed university (red brick, of course) buildings or athletis facilities/fields.

As you noted, a modern intercollegiate aquatics facility is not in the picture now. Maybe, it could be in the future if funding is available.

If there is anything that can be said about President Turner from his tenure at Ole Miss/SMU it is that he makes rennovating older buildings and constructing new structures a priority.

Good luck to the SMU swimmers...champions in the pool and classroom.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Return to Other Sports