PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lacrosse Pre-Season Poll

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lacrosse Pre-Season Poll

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:59 pm

The Lone Star Alliance poll just released for lacrosse clubs. What is the reason for SMU being ranked so low? Since they did pretty well last year(3rd or 4th), what has happened to them in 2004? Did they lose everyone from last year?

Here's the poll:

Lone Star Alliance Division A Preseason Poll

1. University of Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. Texas Tech
4. Baylor
5. Rice
6. TCU
7. LSU
8. North Texas
9. Trinity
10. Southwest Texas
11. SMU
Boston Pony
Varsity

Re: Lacrosse Pre-Season Poll

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:40 pm

In answer to your question, only a few Seniors graduated. SMU was very strong in 2003 and will be very competitive this year. Only Texas dominated them last spring. They lost but played A&M tight. A&M won conference and went to the National tournament.

BTW, TCU didn't field a team last year and SMU beat most of the rest first division teams. So, I don't understand Poll either.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Boston Pony » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 pm

That is what I thought about the team. I went back to the LSA website and it was the poll for 2003. The 2004 poll isn't out yet for LSA, however the national poll has SMU listed as receiving votes! Much better news, congrats to the Mustangs and best success in 2004
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby abs » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:55 pm

The poll is a complete joke. It is likely based on coaches predictions - and the coaches of the Lone Star Alliance still aren't too happy that SMU came out of nowhere to make the playoffs last year while completely dominating teams in nearly every win.

SMU has a very young team. The only two who graduated were Stephens and Harvin, both 1st team all conference. If everyone who should return actually does return then it will be another great year.

The attack should be very solid with Chris Neumann (3rd Team Attack), Tom Greene (3rd Team Middie), Jonathen Teague, and Chris Crum. With work that group will be the best attack line in the conference.

Allen Falick will replace Stephens on face offs and will likely be top two or three in the conference. Rob Lev, Taylor Kettler, Chris Crum, Zan Smith, and Doug Harbison will likely rotate through the top of the midfield. Put Zan Smith, Rob Lev, and Chris Crum on the field and there will not be a line in the conference that can run with their quickness and speed. Not to mention Crum has a rocket shot. Roberto Paloma is a solid long stick middie.

Chip Hiemenz (2nd Team Defense)will likely anchor the defense with Evan Monckton, Tommy Jones, and Sami Sawaf. Should be a strong defense. The weakness is at goalie...

SMU should have more talent than every team in the state other than Texas A&M. UT is a group of second rate players from around the state who have decided to be very serious and that's why they are good. Texas Tech is a team of guys who think lacrosse is cool because you hit people - not usually a winning strategy, but hey, they live in Lubbock.

If the team stays together, works hard, focuses, and decides they want to win, SMU will make the playoffs, i.e finish in the top 4. With a goalie and a very serious attitude the stangs might just win it. When a leader steps up and makes this all happen everybody better watch out.

It's always better to be underrated....and then come out and dominate just like last year.
abs

Postby abs » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:59 pm

Sorry, I also didn't notice that the poll was for 2003. Nonetheless, the previous post should explain some about the team.
abs

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:43 pm

Great stuff on the lax team. Keep us up to date on the season. I would love to see your schedule. Is the team coming out West? Cal, Sonoma State & Davis are all good club teams out here.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Return to Other Sports