PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MENS TRACK BEING CUT!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re:

Postby Dooby » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:26 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:I'll buy a round of beer for everyone if this story even makes the 10 p.m. news in Dallas tonight.

This is just another nail in the coffin for SMU athletics.

I've got a set of Texas license plates that say "S.M.U." that I may give up next year. I'm so disgusted.

I'll absolutely take that bet.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Barbara Ann » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:26 am

Ugh. I was in a bad mood a good part of the day yesterday about this crap.

In my mind, I've been defending Copeland for the last couple years BECAUSE we have such an awesome track & field program, but now that we're getting rid of it, get rid of him.
Barbara Ann

Re:

Postby PK » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:12 am

MrMustang1965 wrote:I'll buy a round of beer for everyone if this story even makes the 10 p.m. news in Dallas tonight.

I've got a set of Texas license plates that say "S.M.U." that I may give up next year. I'm so disgusted.

Not only did it make the ten o'clock news...Mr. "Hates SMU" Hanson told the story. It also made front page of the DMN Sports Section. I'll have a Miller Lite...thanks.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:53 am

PK wrote:

Not only did it make the ten o'clock news...Mr. "Hates SMU" Hanson told the story. It also made front page of the DMN Sports Section. I'll have a Miller Lite...thanks.

It figures that that JERK would talk about it...he only talks about SMU when it's 'bad news'! Your Miller Lite will be bought for you at the tavern of your choice in Big D or at the next tailgate party before SMU football next fall. :roll:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Track cut - BCS

Postby NuMexAg » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:02 am

I hate to see minor sports cut anywhere, especially one that had been so successful! I feel for SMU. I have to say though that I somewhat disagree that Title IX is the main reason.

I know Title IX has contributed to many men's sports being lost, but I think now we are seeing the impact of the BCS TV money and the resulting arms race that it is fueling. As the BCS spends more money on facilities, recruiting and salaries, everyone is forced to ratchet up spending to try to compete. Most non-BCS schools don't have the revenue streams to keep up, so they are cutting expenses where they can to keep funneling money into FB and MBB (Isn't SMU spending something like $40 mil to upgrade Moody?).

It's a vicious cycle and it's not getting any better (LSU's Nick Saban just signed a new contract for $2.3 million/yr). SMU probably had little choice but to cut a minor sport - and they couldn't cut a women's sport. It's a sad situation IMO, and probably will eventually result in a number of schools cutting FB, unless some drastic remedies are sponsored by the NCAA (not too likely).

Anyway, best of luck!

PS, I watched the Ponies play Rice last yr at Ford - what a beautiful stadium you all have!!
NuMexAg

Previous

Return to Other Sports