PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MENS TRACK BEING CUT!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MENS TRACK BEING CUT!

Postby MustangSally » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:12 am

This is horrible news, I hope by the final decision Friday some agreement can be made to save our men's track team that finished in the top 10 like 5 of the last 7 years. Our last freaking national championship was the thrower from last year (discus? shot?) for crying out loud and now they are cutting the team. I WISH I was out of school and making a decent living, I would do whatever I could to help out this program. I always hated seeing stuff like this happen to other schools (SJSU track, Fresno St soccer come to mind) but I didn't think it'd happen so suddenly to us.

http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/02/19/403459ddf3c06
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:45 am

Sad news on the Hilltop.

Three of SMU's six NCAA (team) Championships ('83 indoor and outdoor) ('86 outdoor) were won by the track and field team.

Title IX is a big factor, but this should provide a dose of reality for those who don't believe that SMU has athletic budget problems.

Money for Heritage Hall, Moody renovation, CUSA fees, expanded recruiting budgets, etc. doesn't grow on trees.

I am so thankful that the enormous sum of money used to build Ford Stadium and the Lloyd ASC was raised.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:38 am

About the only thing that SMU fans and students have had to look back on is our Olympic sports strengths in the past decade. Now they are taking a big chunk of that. While it wasn't said, this is clearly a Title IX casualty. You can't keep adding women's sports and scholarships indefinitely to balance out football without a lot of red ink. I think the real culprit are the short sighted social engineers in Congress who dreamed up this well-meaning but silly law.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

This is garbage!!!

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:18 pm

I can take season after season of disappointing football. I have been able to bear highly questionable basketball for years with no fix in sight. But this is freakin' ridiculous. Let's just cut one of the teams we have that is successful. I cannot tell you how bent I am.

While I cannot say that I donate huge sums of money to the university, I do generally give money every year. If they cut the track team, that is the last check I send to SMU until it is reinstated.

We have all endured questionable move after questionable move by the athletic department and bourne it with good grace on the assumption that they will get it fixed. This proved that they won't or can't. I really didn't think I'd every write these words, but it is probably time for Copeland to go, and frankly, if the Board of Directors approves this, perhaps it's time for a changing of the guard as well. This is a symptom of a much larger problem of mismanagement of the school. We are surrendering athletic programs left and right and what do we get in return? The university is not vastly improved in academic quality or reputation; the Board hasn't exactly lifted the school to the status of a Duke or a Stanford or even a Vanderbilt or Rice. We're seeing no significant progress on the academic front and we're fighting a retreat from athletics. It's time for a change.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:46 pm

Greenwich Pony, you need to send that message to the Administration and Board of Trustees. You make excellent points that should not be left to die on this message board.
PK

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:41 pm

I thought when the "Committment" was made this type of stuff wasn't supposed to happen. Where is the Mustang Club President in this? What is he doing?
EastStang

If you Want to stop this be at the Student Center at 4:30

Postby davidsmu94 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:05 pm

There is going to be a meeting with some board to review this. The newspaper, TV news and several alumni will be there to protest
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Mustangunner » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:16 pm

:evil: This is ridiculous how can a program cut world class athletes that will compete in the Olympics? How can you make an excuse that there is no fan base when there are no home track meets? And can anyone really tell me that there is more of a fan base to watch womens rowing than the mens track team which is composed of die hard superior athletes?
Mustangunner
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:20 pm

Title IX
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby SmooPower » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:31 pm

This makes me sick. :evil:
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:32 pm

http://smumustangs.com/roster.asp?sport=trackm

the men's track team has 10 of 19 men not from the USA.
wonder if this was a factor?
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:54 pm

All I have to say is that Im disgusted by this decision
Mustangs35SMU

SMU TRACK

Postby davidsmu94 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:37 pm

Everyone who wants to support the track team, please meet at Jim Copland's office at Moody 7:30 am on Friday Morning. He has agreed to meet with us there
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:23 pm

7:30 am? That means I would have to wake up at 5 get dressed in a hurry and drive to Dallas 2 hours away and hopefully be back before 8 for school lmao Please someone go out there and support the track team!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:25 pm

I'll buy a round of beer for everyone if this story even makes the 10 p.m. news in Dallas tonight.

This is just another nail in the coffin for SMU athletics.

I've got a set of Texas license plates that say "S.M.U." that I may give up next year. I'm so disgusted.
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Other Sports