PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What was said at the meeting with Copeland?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What was said at the meeting with Copeland?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:55 am

Did anyone on this board attend? I'd like to know what he said.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Meeting this morning

Postby davidsmu94 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:27 pm

Myself along with about 10 or more other alumni from the track team were in attendance. Copeland went over the concerns about title IX along with the needs to cut cost. As alumni, we confronted him on the fact that we were not made aware to take action in any way to save the program. We also confirmed with Copeland that they were planning on spending 40 Million to renovate Moody. I expresses anger that he could do that, but not support his most prestigious program. As an alum group we requested 3 monts to find a way to raise funds on our own to save the program. He agreed to to propose that Idea to the board meeting later today.
davidsmu94
Heisman

surprise surprise

Postby davidsmu94 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:21 pm

I woke up at 5am and drove from Frisco for nothing, SMU TRACK IS DEAD
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:16 pm

This just sickens me! The next time I see Copeland and/or Turner, I plan to give 'em a piece of my mind! :roll: Not that they give a damn, of course.
MrMustang1965

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:08 pm

I say Fire Away man! This is just really pisses me off. Unbelieveable how a team thats actually winning at SMU is getting taking away just like that! Look at all the other sports! Horrible! :evil:
Mustangs35SMU

Re: Meeting this morning

Postby WildHorse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:22 am

davidsmu94 wrote:Myself along with about 10 or more other alumni from the track team were in attendance. Copeland went over the concerns about title IX along with the needs to cut cost. As alumni, we confronted him on the fact that we were not made aware to take action in any way to save the program. We also confirmed with Copeland that they were planning on spending 40 Million to renovate Moody. I expresses anger that he could do that, but not support his most prestigious program. As an alum group we requested 3 monts to find a way to raise funds on our own to save the program. He agreed to to propose that Idea to the board meeting later today.

$56 million to build a new football stadium, and $40 million to renovate Moody? Is that number right? Maybe $4 million? That sounds like a hell of a lot of renovation. I can't even imagine the upgrade that would require that kind of dough.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Moody

Postby davidsmu94 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 am

Well, you could probably ask someone else in the meeting, but I"m sure that's what he said. He said that it hadn't been approved yet, but the plan was to do this in 4 stages, which would add up to around that number.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Re: Moody

Postby Prof X » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:34 pm

davidsmu94 wrote:Well, you could probably ask someone else in the meeting, but I"m sure that's what he said. He said that it hadn't been approved yet, but the plan was to do this in 4 stages, which would add up to around that number.

40 million is the number I've heard, as well.

Dave, if you are who I think you are (Wink) shoot me an email sometime. This is Jon Embree. JEmbree826@aol.com
You are all sheep.
Prof X
Scout Team

Postby No Quarter » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:04 am

:arrow:

Forty millions to renovate Moody? And still no product to put inside? I don't have any idea what it would cost to hire a Division I men's BB coach, but I believe what is needed is one alum with deep pockets - or a consortium - to pay the coaching staff and fund the program for five to eight years.

I wish I knew that there was such a person out there, who would give with not much more than the possibility of being named on a plaque in the entry some day.

If attendance does not increase in that time, well ... another decision would have to be made, but I doubt that $40,000,000 would have been spent.
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Other Sports