PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU BASEBALL

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU BASEBALL

Postby okcponyfan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before but where was the baseball field when we actually had a baseball team?
How big was the stadium?
okcponyfan
Varsity

SMU BASEBALL

Postby mrydel » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Where the soccer field is now. Not a big “stadium”. Bleachers down the baselines. Not sure how many they would seat but there were only about 30 or 40 of us that would attend the games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU BASEBALL

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:15 pm

They also used to play at Rivershon (?) park for a while.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Got to see Burt Hooton pitch against our guys before he went on to pitch for the Dodgers. Was nice having baseball during my time at SMU. Rusty Bourquein was a 2 way player (bball and baseball) who was a frosh on my floor when I was a soph advisor in the dorm. A big HR hitter could take one over the left field fence, hit the road and bounce/roll up to Moody's front doors. Club baseball had to move off campus but Mark is right, there were very few of us that actually came out to watch games in those days.
Charleston Pony

Postby used to be 2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:32 am

Charleston, I was also one who watched the baseball team, Rusty was on it as well and I played B-ball with him.

In those days, typically the athletes from different sports at SMU went to the other venue of games.

Not so much anymore.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:37 pm

used to be 2 wrote:Charleston, I was also one who watched the baseball team, Rusty was on it as well and I played B-ball with him.

In those days, typically the athletes from different sports at SMU went to the other venue of games.

Not so much anymore.

My roomy and fellow soph advisor, Fritz Steininger. & I used to occasionally play 2 on 2 with Rusty and Mike Hanks in Moody. There were a handful of us that were just gym rats and would watch and support our guys in whatever sport was in season. Things changed a little when they finished the outdoor pool as there were more interesting people to watch.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:22 pm

They were almost unwatchable when I was there. I think they were 2-32 my senior year. No defense, no pitching, and lots of power who either solo homered or struck out. I think they had one scholarship player. So, its not like we were trying to keep up with the Whorns.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby shadowman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:36 pm

I remember going with my Dad back in the 70s to see SMU play Arkansas in a doubleheader. The game was definitely at Riverchon Park. I remember how run down the place was, even back then. The field itself was in pretty good shape and definitely college park dimensions but the bleachers were small and falling apart. SMU lost both games badly.

My one highlight was a drunk SMU fan that constantly heckled the umps and Arkansas players throughout BOTH games. My favorite was when an Arkansas player hit a homerun off of the foul pole and he screamed at the umps for 10 minutes that in college, a ball off of the foul pole was foul :).

Perhaps he is on Ponyfans now? Good times!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:14 pm

Bump for Ccolley68 in case anyone wants to talk about the prospects of bringing baseball back.

I'd love to see SMU playing both baseball and softball and actually being competitive but joining the ACC and the additional travel it would require is a non-starter IMO
Charleston Pony

Postby Otto » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:23 pm

Definite non-starter. Expensive addition, and we're not getting AAC money for what ... 7 years? The David Millers of the world do have limits.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:47 pm

9 years I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Other Sports