PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men’s Swimming And Diving Announces 2021-22 Additions

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

DALLAS (SMU) – Head Coach Greg Rhodenbaugh has announced the addition of 13 student-athletes to the men's swimming and diving program for the 2021-22 season.

The Mustangs are coming off their first conference championship since 2013 after winning the American Athletic Conference title.

The class includes a pair of Division I transfers and 11 incoming freshmen.

Ben Binder | Chanhassen, Minnesota | Minnetonka | IM
Prep: Competed under Kristen Phillips at Minnetonka High School… Helped team to MSHSL AA Championships in 2017 and 2018… Placed third in the 200 IM at the 2021 MSHSL AA State meet… Was seventh in the 200 IM AA State meet 2020… Team captain… Posted an All-American Consideration time in the 200 IM… Swam for Erich Welton at Minnetonka Swim Club.

I chose SMU because it provides me with a great opportunity to get an amazing education and prepare for a career post-graduation. It is also a place where I know I can grow as a student, athlete and person. I can't wait to get it done both in and out of the pool. Pony Up!

Angus Corbeau | Portland, Oregon | Sunset | Breaststroke / IM
Prep: Competed two seasons at Sunset High School… Swam for Nacim Bouferrache at The Dolphins Portland Swimming… A multi-year USA Swimming Scholastic All-American… Multi-time Dutch Junior National Champion.

Personal: Brother swims at the University of Texas, father swam at Cal and was a member of the Netherlands National Team and mother swam at UCLA and was a member of the USA National Junior Team… Posted a 4.0 GPA… Member of the French Honor Society… Received an Honors Diploma.

I chose SMU for its combination of excellent academics and athletics, and the campus environment.

Davis Edwards | New Orleans, Louisiana | Auburn / Jesuit High School of New Orleans | IM / Freestyle
Prior to SMU: Spent two seasons at Auburn University… CSCAA Scholar All-American… SEC Finalist… Member of the Dean's List… Selected to the 2021 SEC Men's Swimming and Diving Community Service Team… 2020 Olympic Trials qualifier.

Prep: Competed for Brett Hanneman at Jesuit High School of New Orleans… Helped his team to a pair of State Championships… Swam for Ross Hedrick at Nu Wave Swim Club… Named the Louisiana Swimmer of the Year… State record holder.

I chose SMU to better myself through world-class academics and athletics each day. Coach Rhondenbaugh is building a championship program that is ready to compete and dominate at a national level, something which I can't wait to be a part of.

Russell Exum | Greenville, North Carolina | J.H. Rose | Butterfly / Freestyle
Prep: Competed for Charley Harvey and Andrew Pierce at J.H. Rose High School… A 2019 NISCA All-American and USA Swimming Scholastic All-American… 2019-20 NCHSAA State Championship bronze medalist in the 100 fly… Winner of the Team Over Self Award… School record holder in the 100 fly and 500 free… Swam for Casey Charles at East Carolina Aquatics and Bruce Marchionda at Triangle Aquatics… Was a 2019 Winter Junior Nationals and US Open qualifier… Triangle Aquatics record holder in the 100 fly… Won the Coach's Award in 2019 and Most Improved in 2018.

I chose SMU because of the quality of the campus and facilities, the coaching staff and the Cox School of Business.

Cotton Fields | The Woodlands, Texas | The Woodlands | Backstroke / IM
Prep: Competed at The Woodlands High School under coach Jeremy Wade… A UIL A-Finalist and member of the UIL All-State Team… Earned TISCA All-America honors… Helped team to a second-place finish at the State Championships in 2019 and 2020… Swam for Chris Collier on The Woodlands Swim Team… Was a Junior Nationals and U.S. Open qualifier… Member of the Leadership Council.

Sister, Karsten, is a member of the SMU women's swim team… Member of the National Honor Society.

I chose SMU because of the beautiful campus in an amazing city with a fantastic coaching staff.

Sawyer Inglis | Denver, Colorado | Regis Jesuit | Freestyle
Prep: Swam for Nick Frasersmith at Regis Jesuit High School… Was an NISCA All-American and State Champion… Competed under Shawn Smith at University of Denver Hilltoppers… A five-time Colorado All Star.

Personal: Father played football at Georgia… Member of the National Honor Society… Magna Cum Laude Award recipient.

I chose SMU because of the outstanding mix of academics, athletics, and the world class facilities it has to offer.

Aedan Lewis | Greenwich, Connecticut | Minnesota / SMU / Greenwich | Breaststroke
Prior to SMU: Competed at Minnesota after transferring from SMU and received his undergraduate degree… Was part of a Big Ten Championship team.

At SMU: Posted an NCAA B cut in the 100 breast… Left SMU as the fifth-fastest performer in program history in the 100 breast… An All-American Athletic Conference selection in the 200 and 400 medley relays…. Earned All-AAC academic honors.

Prep: Lettered four seasons under Terry Lowe at Greenwich... Was an All-American his junior and senior seasons in the 100 breast, 200 medley relay and 200 free relay... Team won four straight State Championships... Competed for Jamie Barone at Chelsea Piers Aquatic Club.

Personal: Sister attends SMU ... Graduated high school Summa Cum Laude.

I chose SMU to properly maximize a year of graduate school and swimming. The degree program at the Cox School of Business and tremendous work opportunities in Dallas are a winning combination. To compete for the fastest rising team in the country, while building a career path, makes going to SMU a necessity.

Rob McCall | Nashville, Tennessee | Ensworth | Backstroke
Prep: Swam for SMU alum Christian Bahr at Ensworth High School… Was a USA Swimming Scholastic All-American… Made the Middle Tennessee All Region A Team… Earned All-State honors in the 100 back, 200 medley relay and 400 free relay… Also competed for Bahr, Joe Goeken and Chatham Dobbs at Ensworth Aquatics… USA Silver Medal Club… 2021 Southeastern Men's and Overall Champions… Competed at the 2019 NCSA Summer Championships, 2019 Winter Juniors and 2020 Summer Juniors.

Personal: Parents swam for the University of Texas during the early 1980's... Father was a multi-time NCAA finalist and Olympic Trials finalist (1984) in the 200 back… 2019 History Cum Laude… Part of Ensworth's Contemporary Acapella Group, Encore, which was featured on the 2019 Best of High School Acapella LP and also nominated for the Contemporary A cappella Recording Awards (CARA).

I chose SMU because the campus is so beautiful and academics are amazing.

Joshua Miller | San Clemente, California | Sky Mountain Charter School | Distance Freestyle

Prep: Competed for Brian Brown at Fullerton Athletics Sports Team (FAST)… Two-year Scholastic All-American… Qualified for Winter and Summer Junior Nationals and Men's National Open Water.

Personal: Member of the National Honor Society and Honor Roll… Earned a Biliteracy Seal, Golden State Merit and Mathematics Achievement Award.

I chose SMU because of the excellent collegiate reputation, top business school and strong, competitive swim team.

Joe Rusnock | Suffield, Connecticut | Suffield Academy | Breaststroke
Prep: Competed for Andy Lowe at Suffield Academy… An NISCA All-American in the 100 breast and 200 free relay and New England Prep School Division I Champion in the 100 breast… Two-time team captain and MVP… Swam at Farmington Valley YMCA for Mario Francisco Sobrinho… Was a USA Swimming Scholastic All-American and CT Swimming Scholar Athlete… Competed at YMCA Short Course Nationals… Also lettered in soccer (team captain and MVP) and track.

Personal: Father ran track at Central Connecticut University and sister competes in cross country and track and field at Connecticut College… Member of the High Honor Roll and Honor Roll… Winner of Suffield Academy's Rachel R. Carey Spirit Award.

I chose SMU because of the balance of great academics and athletics. Coach Rody and Dawley are also outstanding and the facilities are amazing too, which helped make my decision.

Samuel Tiblier | Franklin, Tennessee | Brentwood Academy | Freestyle

Prep: Competed for Jim Chapman at Brentwood Academy… Holds all but one program record… Four-time team MVP… Team captain… Swam for John Morse at Nashville Aquatic Club… Named the Team Ambassador.

Personal: Member of the Dean Honor Roll as a sophomore and Headmaster Honor Roll as a freshman and junior.

I chose SMU because everything about the University is exactly what I want: the class size, the location, the beautiful campus, the new pool, the multiple libraries, the academic rigor, the history of success and even the colors.

Pierce Thionville | Harahan, Louisiana | Isidore Newman School | Backstroke / Freestyle

Prep: Attended Isidore Newman School… Was a seven-time individual State champion… Helped team to six State championships… Competed for Ross Hedrick at Nu Wave… NSCA and Sectional participant.

Personal: Mother swam for Pepperdine and father played tennis for UNO.

I chose SMU because I trust the coaches and the program is on the rise and is very competitive.

Max Zuanich | Houston, Texas | Stratford | Sprint Freestyle / Backstroke / Butterfly

Prep: Lettered four seasons under Michael Hoskovec at Stratford High School… Earned All-American honors… Competed for Dads Club Swim team under Rey Aguilar… Elected National Group team captain… Member of club's National Team all of high school… Competed at NCSAs.

Personal: Father played basketball at Westmont College.

I chose SMU because it offers so much that caters toward myself and I truly believe they'll help me develop more as a person than anywhere else.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Men’s Swimming And Diving Announces 2021-22 Additions

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:52 am

Sounds good, awaiting WaterPony's eval...
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:59 am

Coach Rhodenbaugh is building depth, which we need to be competitive in relays. The road forward will take time, but these building blocks are key.

Congrats, MSD
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 am

Love the name, Cotton Fields.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 am

Great to see recruits specifically mentioning the new Natatorium as a reason they chose SMU!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyswim » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 pm

By their times and history, this is not a very good class.
BUT - most of these guys missed a normal training environment for the last part of their junior year, and all of their senior year. So, I would expect that the freshmen group would be GREATLY improved as freshmen - hopefully to the point that some would become national levels swimmers. Interesting name on the list is Aedan Lewis. He was one of SMU's best swimmers his sophomore year. Then he transferred to Minnesota, and is coming back to SMU for graduate school with one more year of eligibility.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:06 am

Although i have not taken the time to look up individual times, Coach Rhodenbaugh advised me that every member of this class had posted times that would have placed them in a championship/final heat of the AAC Conference championships this spring. As Pony Swim pointed out, the pandemic had a tremendous impact on swimming in general and especially on high schools where the various states had widely different parameters rendering any judgments of times and class strength questionable. Coach considers this class list to incorporate both recruits/transfers and preferred walk-ons. This year he had only 1.5 total athletic scholarship money available. As a result, you will note that virtually every kid is a high academic achiever requiring that they secure grants, scholarships to help out and/or pay the SMU bill on their own dime. Thus is the plight of recruiting for private universities. I am confident that the quality and depth of this class will be a great building block and the favorable exposure from the resumption of events like the SMU classic and the current swim schedule will greatly enhance future recruiting.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:03 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Although i have not taken the time to look up individual times, Coach Rhodenbaugh advised me that every member of this class had posted times that would have placed them in a championship/final heat of the AAC Conference championships this spring. As Pony Swim pointed out, the pandemic had a tremendous impact on swimming in general and especially on high schools where the various states had widely different parameters rendering any judgments of times and class strength questionable. Coach considers this class list to incorporate both recruits/transfers and preferred walk-ons. This year he had only 1.5 total athletic scholarship money available. As a result, you will note that virtually every kid is a high academic achiever requiring that they secure grants, scholarships to help out and/or pay the SMU bill on their own dime. Thus is the plight of recruiting for private universities. I am confident that the quality and depth of this class will be a great building block and the favorable exposure from the resumption of events like the SMU classic and the current swim schedule will greatly enhance future recruiting.

Thanks, Pocono,

I share your hope for optimism and grant you that the lack of scholarship money requires a more creative approach to recruiting. This helps explain why the team's GPA continues to be so high.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyswim » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:43 pm

I noticed an addition to the roster - Elijan Sohn. He is a transfer from TAMU with 3 or 4 years of eligiblity.
A 1:35.50 200 freestyle - so he is one the best guys on SMU's team, is good at 50,100,200 free. Apparently a very talented young man who can really help SMU to get relays to the NCAA championships.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 pm

ponyswim wrote:I noticed an addition to the roster - Elijan Sohn. He is a transfer from TAMU with 3 or 4 years of eligiblity.
A 1:35.50 200 freestyle - so he is one the best guys on SMU's team, is good at 50,100,200 free. Apparently a very talented young man who can really help SMU to get relays to the NCAA championships.

Thx, ponyswim, for posting. That is a solid time for the 200 Free and will incent other teammates to match him.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports