PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Copeland must go!!!!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Copeland must go!!!!

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:28 am

How long are we as SMU fans and alums going to take this? When do we finally make a stand? Do you think our athletic programs are better now under Copeland?
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:45 pm

Got my mail in the letter today from Copeland about tha situation. I can understand but Im still not in favor of Dropping the Men's track team.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Copeland must go!!!!

Postby WildHorse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:18 am

davidsmu94 wrote:How long are we as SMU fans and alums going to take this? When do we finally make a stand? Do you think our athletic programs are better now under Copeland?

Lightyears ahead of where we were pre-Cope. Are we where we, as PonyFans, want to be? No - not yet. Will we get there? Dunno. But despite the record, football is in MUCH better shape, hoops: jury's out at the moment, soccer's better, swimming's better .... yes, the athletic program is better. Perfect? No. Better? Yes.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:04 am

For clarity, Swimming & Diving has mixed results. The Women's team has been a top Ten program, but the Men's are no longer top 25. As I have mentioned many times, the current competitive facilities don't aid recruiting, competition or training. With the sad loss of Track, I am afraid there is little appetite for bring aquatic facilities on par with the better programs. The decision to build a student's only pool in the new recreation center has further deferred any ability to consider this need. A combined student and competition facility could have designed and built providing better facilities for both students and competitiors. Paying for both becomes unlikely.

As I see it, FB, BB and Soccer along with the current Women programs are the only beneficiaries. The loss of the good student-athletes, especially for men, is unfortunate. I blame the BCS and the arms race associated with it.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports