PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's soccer success has international flair

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's soccer success has international flair

Postby PonyPride » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:08 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

SMU Success Has International Flair
By Alex Riley
Special to SMUMustangs.com

DALLAS (SMU) - College soccer in the states was always Elisabeth Tse's focus. Brigitta Pulins and Jasmine Vilgrain also had longstanding dreams of taking their talents from Canada to the NCAA Division I level.

The same can not be said for Wayny Balata.

During an inter-provincial tournament in Canada, SMU assistant coach Mat Cosgriff was impressed with what he saw from Balata and tried to make contact through her coach. At the time, she brushed it off.

"I didn't know college soccer was an opportunity or possibility up until about two or three years before I would be a freshman here," the junior said with a laugh. "They were still interested in me, luckily."

Playing together in Dallas was never something these four considered during their youth soccer careers north of the border. Balata, Vilgrain and Tse once met at the 17u Canadian National Team Camp, while Balata and Pulins knew each other from facing off against each other in Quebec high school matches.

Balata, Pulins and Tse all came directly to SMU out of high school, while Vilgrain made a stop at Ohio State before transferring further south.

One thing is certain -- all four joined the Mustang program eager to play and make an impact.

Canadian Players 2

Heading into Wednesday's 7 p.m. battle with Temple, Balata, Tse and Vilgrain are among the team leaders in scoring, notching 8, 7, and 5 points, respectively, to sit third, fourth and fifth on the roster, respectively. Pulins hasn't gotten into the scoring column, but the senior has played in all 12 matches with eight starts.

"I knew there were already players playing in this position, so I knew I'd have to work harder than those players to try and get my spot on the team," Vilgrain said. "And now, I'm still working to keep that spot."

Their efforts have SMU (8-2-2 overall, 2-1-2 AAC) sitting third in the league standings with three games to play.

"This season, our team has an underdog mentality, which I think is helping us and just making us work harder and really fighting for every win on the field," Pulins said. "I think the mindset is just really good on the team, and I think the chemistry is really good as well."

While they didn't have much in common before coming to Dallas, their past has helped them form a bond. Tse and Vilgrain both hail from Quebec and speak fluent French, a weapon they've used on the field at times to communicate so opponents can't understand. The group doesn't often talk about home, but that common background gave them a jumping off point to build a friendship.

As the veteran, Pulin's advice to her fellow countrymates has been simple -- enjoy the journey as it goes by fast.

Those are just some of the words Tse has taken to heart as she starts her career in America. One thing is for sure, she's certainly happy to have people to lean on.

"I feel like it's really helpful coming here for my first year having other Canadians who have experience in the same thing as me to help me and give me some advice. They've been really helpful," Tse said.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports