PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU To Add Outdoor Pool To Robson & Lindley Aquatics Center

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU To Add Outdoor Pool To Robson & Lindley Aquatics Center

Postby Water Pony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:47 pm

The vision for a second, outdoor Olympic Pool has been approved. We have come a long way from the historical, but small Perkins Natatorium, to today's announcement is a wonderful testimony to the generosity of the family and friends of SMU Swimming & Diving Teams. This is a real statement and commitment to compete at the highest levels.

DALLAS (SMU) - With a $2.5M gift from the Hickman family, SMU will soon break ground for a new eight-lane, 50-meter by 25-yard outdoor pool, with 1- and 3-meter diving boards. The $11M project will also include a 20-foot by 40-foot instructional pool that will be used for lessons and rehab/therapy. The addition of the outdoor pool will complete the Robson & Lindley Aquatics Center, making SMU the only University in the country with both indoor and outdoor Olympic pools in one facility, further cementing SMU's swimming and diving facility as one of the finest in college athletics.

https://smumustangs.com/news/2021/10/25 ... enter.aspx
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU To Add Outdoor Pool To Robson & Lindley Aquatics Cen

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Exciting news!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyswim » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:42 pm

Well said Water Pony.
Now we need top level athletes who are classy people.
Another pool will help give the program more space, but it will attract NONE of those athletes.
Athletes performing at a high level will give SMU credibility. I think we have some men, and some
women with the ability to do that - we will see in November, then in February and March if they do.
We need to coaches who can attract high level athletes by showing they can take the athletes they have
and get them to show GREAT improvement, otherwise they will go to Texas, A&M, NC State, Virginia, etc.
like they are now.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am

ponyswim wrote:Well said Water Pony.
Now we need top level athletes who are classy people.
Another pool will help give the program more space, but it will attract NONE of those athletes.
Athletes performing at a high level will give SMU credibility. I think we have some men, and some
women with the ability to do that - we will see in November, then in February and March if they do.
We need to coaches who can attract high level athletes by showing they can take the athletes they have
and get them to show GREAT improvement, otherwise they will go to Texas, A&M, NC State, Virginia, etc.
like they are now.

Point taken, ponyswim

Character counts in students and student athletes, especially in sports, such as swimming, where dedication and commitment are table stakes. I admire those who put in the work in the classroom and the pool; considering the demands on their time to excel at both.

Last year, I saw some swimmers make strides; yet we lack depth and world caliber talent. I am more optimistic about our future; yet recognize the road back to relevancy in Texas and at the Nationals is a long one. And, recruiting remains a challenge.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyswim » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:28 pm

I think we added 5 guys that have a chance to make NCAA's this year or next either individually or on relays.
That would be in addition to the 10 or so that are already here. I think we can make BIG jumps this year that would put a different outlook on the team. Two examples - Last year we were 2:53.0 in the 400 Free Relay. "Natural improvement" of getting older/better would put use at 2:50.5 - 2:51.5. If we get to 2:48 or 2:49 that is different world. Same in the 400 Medley - we were 3:09.8 - 3:07 would be natural improvement. Getting to 3:05 gets SMU some attention.
In those BIG improvement scenarios SMU scores in at least the 400 Free Relay. Put that together with a couple of individual scoring swims and recruits will pay attention.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:45 am

ponyswim, I am glad you emphasized relays, e.g. 400 & 800 Free and 400 Medley. To be back in the pool at Nationals with relays is an important goal, plus individual performances.

Relays say a lot about a program ... depth and speed from many swimmers. If we want to be ranked again, relays are a necessity.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyswim » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:36 pm

We have a lot of solid guys - not NCAA level, but good for relays. We need at least one to break out and be a couple of levels better than "solid." Most likely that would be Colin Feehery or Cole Bruns, but it could be somebody else - Easton, Exum, Hill, Rusnock, Butler, Parnell - lots to chose from. What I mean by that is a 51.0 breaststroke leg, 45.5 butterfly leg, 42.0 freestyle leg. When we have two of those we should be scoring at NCAA's. 3-4 of those and we score a lot of points in relays. Probably 12 or so guys have the possibility of doing that this year. We will see if that happens.
ponyswim
Varsity

Return to Other Sports